Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the oil pump out of my 302,put it in the solvent tank for a good cleaning. it was not that dirty inside. it looked pretty good. i few days ago my lifters started to rattle and my oil pressure went way down. how would i tell if the pump is bad? the drive rod is fine.could a piece of something got hung up in the pump???? i changed the oil and filter and have all the pressure i want now. i don't trust it, so i pulled it a part to clean and look at it. what do i look for ?? thanks.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Bullet, this is not the answer you may want but for $35 you can get a new stock replacement pump and you wont have to worry about the old one if you reuse it. Cheap insurance, and you have eliminated the pump as a problem.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I agree with "NastyStang".

The rule of thumb for most people I know is ...

If you pull the pan for something, you automaticly install a new oil pump just for general purposes ...

As NastyStang says "Cheap Insurance".

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I WILL PUT A NEW PUMP IN, I WAS JUST TRYING TO SEE WHAT MAKES THE PUMP GO BAD.I WAS NOT GOING TO RUN THIS MOTOR. BUT I WANT TO DRIVE MY CAR. IT MIGHT BE SOME TIME BEFORE I GET MY 351W DONE. THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Bullet, I had a thought, I belive there is an article in the archives about blue printing oil pumps, this gives critical info on clearances in an oil pump between all the moving parts, this might be usefull to you and informative.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bullet
Look for excessive clearances between the rotors and between rotor and cover. What could make them go bad? Anything that would grind or gall the rotor, cover or case or interfere with the spring and relief valve. If the spring/valve mechanism is hanging up open, then the pump doesn't build pressure properly. Could explain a pressure drop.
Stray tidbits. The difference between a stock and high pressure pump is simply the spring. Higher rate (or shimmed up stock one) will let the pump build up to a higher pressure level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts