Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the stock dist on my 351C today. Had a hard time getting it to go all the way in so I used my remote start switch to bump it a couple of times. After that it dropped right in. Started the engine and promptly noticed I had no oil pressure. Assuming the dist wasn't all the way in, I pulled it and put it in again. Still no oil pressure. Pulled dist, stuck my oil pump primer shaft down the hole and can't feel anything. Stuck an eighteen inch 3/8 extension down the hole and there's nothing there! Where'd my oil pump shaft go guys?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Yep, time for oil pan removal 101, to be followed by a refresher course in oil pump install 102.
Don't be too hard on him guys. It's happened to a lot more of us than any of us would care to admit...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sufficiently humbled guys. Was what I suspected, but really didn't want to confirm. Any tricks to keep this from happening again?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Two words: Retaining Clip. I've had to pull a pan before with the motor still in the car. It's no church picnic, but it can be done. Go slow and make sure you're not bending the crap out of something as your jacking the motor up. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts