Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting things together soon on the 393Clevor and I'm at the point of getting a oil pump. I have the Federal Mogul grooved high performance bearings (hi-performance price too) I'm just not to sure on the oil pump. Should I go Hi Volume or High Pressure, 6500rpms?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I'll be using this blueprinted standard volume pump for my 331. Notice the additional shaft support provision in the cast cover. It also has BBF moly coated rotor.

If your clearances are not greater than .0025 you should be good to go with a standard volume pump. I know the HV is all the rage, but the standard will get the job done with less power loss and stress on the related parts.

I would always run the heavy duty shaft though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mstngjoe on 2/8/03 9:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it has to do a lot with how big the returns are. how much do you want to put to the top of that block, and how quickly can it drain back. As mentioned above, clearances are very important also. exact numbers i don't have, unfortunatly. I think more people go with HiV or HiP than need to though.

tim

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
I like to run my clearances a little loose & use a standard Melling pump & install the high-pressure spring. Gets me around 70-80 psi hot with oil restrictors & a roller cam.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm with these guys. I used to be one of those "HV or nothing" guys. That was until I took the new engine in my truck to 6500 for the first time. The HV pump did just what it was supposed to and pumped a whole lot of oil. Right to the top of the engine. Needless to say, that new engine was very quickly replaced with yet another new one with a standard oil pump. My personal opinion is that any high RPM application with a HV pump also requires a high capacity oil pan. All the Windsor-style small blocks have a pretty good oiling system right out of the box. Other than that incident, I've never had a lubrication-related failure even with a stock pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts