Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I know this has been talked about before on this forum but I have read that much that I am now concerned!! (I do tend to worry when I'm building an engine!!).
My engine will be a 347 stroker and I have purchased KB pistons. These have the conrods encroaching into the bottom ring, which means I need to fit the oil ring support rail.
I have read that this shortens engine life, isn't particularly successful in stopping oil seeping through and lots of other bad things. Surely this must be a fairly successful method as there are lots of stroker out there?
I guess if you are racing the thing or doing thousands of miles a year then the doom mongers may be right!!
Just wondered what your opinions were as I am sure there are lots of you on here who have fitted these?

Regards

Martin

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I have read that this shortens engine life, isn't particularly successful in stopping oil seeping through and lots of other bad things.
You can place the sources you heard that from on "ignore", as they don't understand the function of the supports. There are several ring support methods, and I have not seen any instances where ring supports cause a reduction in engine life or negatively affect the job of the oil-control rings. In-fact, improving oil ring control is why they are there. I have seen, however, poor building practices that involved oil consumption that was conveniently blamed on them.
Surely this must be a fairly successful method as there are lots of stroker out there?
That would be a safe assumption. You will find there are invalid horror stories or urban legends about almost any thing or any way you can do stuff to engines. Some have a grain of truth, but that does not warrant the wholesale thrashing of good methods, especially when improperly applied.

David

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
David is right..The 347 oil burning myths will just not die it seems..My 408 also has that style of piston and it works great..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts