Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I changed the oil in my windsor my car has the smell of the new oil.

I didn't spill a drop anywhere. I have looked for oil leaking but I cannot see any.

It has a 7ltr pan on it and its a BIT over full.

Could having too much oil in it make the oil smell come out of the breather caps on either rocker cover?

Could having too much oil in it cause blue smoke on change of gears at 5800-6000rpms? Or is my engine getting tired?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you have like 3 quarts over full things can get messy, but ,if it's only slightly over full (1/2 to 1 qt) it is not going to harm you or cause a blue puff on a 6,000 shift...
Your rings might be a little tired... But that's just specualtion...

If therte is too much oil, GET rid of it...

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Run the engine for a minute, then shut it off. Check your dipstick. If you see bubbles, then you 're overfull and causing damage. Bubbles dont lubricate

If it is foamy, it will expand in volume, and it turns into a nasty cycle, sorta like whipping eggwhites. I suppose that could cause the smell to be more noticable, and I've personally seen the tailpipe smoke caused by an overfull crankcase.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The smoke at gear changes is most likely the bad stem seals. The change in vacuum when the carb shuts is pulling a slight bit of oil past the seals and burning it.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Did it smoke at all before the oil change? How high above the full mark is it? If it's to full the crankshaft got be wipping it up and making it smoke more.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
On 2007-01-14 00:00, 1 Bad 88 GT wrote:
The smoke at gear changes is most likely the bad stem seals. The change in vacuum when the carb shuts is pulling a slight bit of oil past the seals and burning it.
Yup what he said

1 - 7 of 7 Posts