Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I posted about my oil smoke on decel problems. I am happy to say with the valve stem seals replaced it no longer lets out huge clouds when I come to a stop.

Here is the type that was on:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRN%2D99820%2D16&N=4294859070+115&autoview=sku

and here is what I replaced them with:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL%2D9725&N=4294859070+115&autoview=sku

The teflon seals were noticeably harder than the viton seals, and had shown signs of oil leakage. I am hoping that these new seals will stay flexible longer.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update, problem *not* fixed. Smoked again today. Next culprit is the intake manifold gaskets. Luckily there is no water mess when taking off a cleveland intake, I leave to the FCA Nationals at 6am tomorrow, hope to be able to swap a new pair in tonite (if kragens indeed has them)

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guides seemed fine when I did the stems, its got maybe 15k miles total and the valve train is set up well.

On the other side, I had the biggest WTF moment today. Kragens did not have the gaskets in stock, nor did the other local store. I decided I would just retorque the intake and see how that goes. Here comes the biggest WTF moment.... I went to torque the manifold with the torque wrench and all of the bolts are loose! I could have probably unscrewed them by hand!

So all in all, this may be the culprit of my leaking. We will see how it goes tomorrow, about 300 miles to drive.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I hate it when it bites you in the face like that.

Glad you fixed a problem, even if it wasn't the right one.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So update, the problem was resolved by torquing it for about 200 miles, then went back to smoking again. It is definitely the intake gaskets, and when I get back home I will be replacing it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been fighting this same problem.
Make sure your intake is not bottoming out on the end seal area of the block.
Place a flashlight in the valley, the place the intake (without gaskets) in place. See where the light shines out (at night). This will tell you what is going on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mpcoluv on 7/9/06 9:00pm ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts