Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change on my motor today after it was rebuilt. They used break in oil and a Motorcraft High Performance filter for the rebuild. It was about 1K after the rebuild when I changed it and it had used about 3/4 of a quart. The oil still looked fairly clean and they are no leaks and the car doesn't smoke at all. Does that amount of oil consumption during that timeframe indicate a cause for concern?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
No concern at this time. Run it and monitor.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
If you're still burning that much after 1000 miles then you have issues.

Technically the break in time is where you cut the cam and seat the rings. The rings being seated 100% during break in and the following 500 to 1000 miles will tell all. If after 1000 miles on engine it still used 1/4 to 3/4 quart of oil then you need to diagnose the issue.

Change engine oil at 500 miles. Then again at 1000 then after that every 3000.

If one is fool enough to argue about rings being seated after break in time , simply sit back and ask yourself why the engine is running at all.... Or why you have compression...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured she would use some oil during the break in period and I'll definitely keep and eye on it going forward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts