Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 650 Vac. secondarys holley.. I bought it at a swap meet. It seemed to work fine, i had a little bit of stumble when i would floor it though. Since i put this on shen i got my car, like a year ago, and i cannt remember if it was always like that. I just recently got into going fast, so i started with putting on headers an intake, and now a T-5. Now when i floor it there is a huge stumble, it wont even go when its WOT, it goes faster at like 1/2 throttle. I dont know if it is missfiring or something is wrong with the carb or what. I have had problems with my 7 cylinder, i had a craked head and found out that way that the 7 cylinder is sleeved, and has some gouges in it (certinaly causing some blow by) but too short on cash to do anything about it. Like i said, It works just fine, but anything more than like 1/2 throttle, just dies, it slows down in fact. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was going to switch to a 650DP, but i want to fix the problem first if its not the carb.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What jets and powervalve are you running?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know for sure, when i bought the carb, the guy told me it was perfect, so i bolted it on and ya, it worked right away. Im guessing stock for this Carb (have no idea really). Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
A couple items to check for bogging/stumbling are....

The secondary spring being to low in tension and missing the check ball inside the vacuum diaphram unit.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Pull the small screws out from the sides of the float bowls and check the fuel level. You might not have any fuel in the rear bowl. With the screws out and motor running the fuel should be right at the bottom of the hole. You don't want any fuel to over flow the hole, get it so it's right at the bottom of the hole. This is adjusted with the screw and lock nut at the top of each bowl. loosen the screw and turn the nut to adjust it. CW will raise the fuel level and CCW will lower it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone think it could be an ignition problem?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, i checked the level of fuel in the primary bowl, as well as the secondary bowl, Whats wrong? Will the low cost makeover kits from Summit take care of it?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, I checked both bowls and they were perfect, could the problem be something other than the carb?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aight, one thing you might want to check is the ignition coil. I had a similar problem with my car, it would stumble and studder at WOT, turned out my coil was goin out..Just an idea

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
It could very well be ignition. I had exactly the same problem with my 625 AFB and thought it was going lean at WOT. After tearing down the carb and seeing it was perfectly clean, I started looking for ignition problems. I am pretty sure the electronic ignition (10 year old mallory unit) went bad. It eventually quit altogether and when I put points back in it works pretty good. WOT is back in action. Let the tires beware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts