Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assume I know jack about the Cleveland.
The engine is a 1972 351c 4v CJ.
1972 Torino, 4 speed, 3.50 rear end gearing. Has AC and power brakes.
I want to build a solid street package, what would you use, and what problems if any would I be concerned about.
Remove any concerns over the block.
I want to reuse the crank, rods, and 4v open chamber heads.
Heads are 100 stock; pedestal heads.
One basic provision: I don't want to have to screw with solid lifters or adjusting valve lash.
I just feel like picking the brains of people, see what works for a heavy street car, and what to avoid as a refresher course for my long term project.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I believe you could stroke it to a 427/428 cu inch small block. It would have some incredible hp/torque.

·
Registered
460 Posts
On 2006-10-09 00:37, Spali32 wrote:
I believe you could stroke it to a 427/428 cu inch small block. It would have some incredible hp/torque.
Maybe with a 351 windsor block, but i think 408 is about the clevo limit. But still, it could get going quite nice for 357 cubes(assuming block is 30 thou over). Depends if you want to change to better rockers/springs on how big of a hydraulic you want to use.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ckelly, thanks. I just need a refresher.
Sort of burned out on getting my car running with the 2v 1971 351c I have in it right now, just want to revisit stuff on the ol' CJ engine.
I have debated about a stroker package but I am trying to just go the K.I.S.S. method for now.

·
Registered
802 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts