Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now im actually gonna purchase a bulk 100 foot roll of spark plug wire and they make carbon core, solid core and spiral core.... im really sick of spark plug wire posts..... Is there a website that gives you all the info and instruction for me to make all of the decisions ? the more i read the worse it gets, like msd ignitions dont like platnum plugs cause they send a signal to the box and-------- bla bla bla- any way, solid core or spiral core ?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and then there's resistor..... is that for if you have a stereo in the car ?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
If a platinum core plug "sends" a signal to ANY box it's because it has a Transmitter built into it... Whoever said that don't know how to phrase the following term!
"This "X" part No. MSD Box will interpret interference from the spark given off by a platinum plug due to "so and so"..."
Spark plugs wether made from Trash bags or Titaneum or aluminum don't "send Signals" So whoever said that is a retard.

About your Wires Gchero... Personally I believe Carbon core wires to be the best but the least durable when it comes to strength. It don't take a lot to separate a column of carbon fiber even backed up by the strength of fiberglass strands. They are VERY flexible though and will put up with bends but not Pulling... The carbon is an Excellent conductor!

FE

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Platinum, is not a good conductor of Electricity.

Anything except Surpessor core wire will severly shorten the life of your coil, your plugs, and your wires. There is really no reason for using anything except surpressor wire.

Also makes more likely the occurance of cross fire inside the cap, Leaves lots of stray ion's in the cap from the high current bursts.

Cross fire also increases because the wires have a lower impedance. Especially when you have two cylinders like 7 and 8 that fire one after another.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help. The wires im getting - taylor 35072- show that they are suppression.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
ok so i am at the local kragen, and zone looking for wires.
this is a street app 5.0 roller coil and the duraspark big top i am running, i just want some good new wires.
but they dont have the ones they stock in stock. and they are like 59.00. so i gets me thinking i may be able to get a better deal elswhere...or spend 10.00 more on something that may last alot longer...or be better for my hi po slo build.

any suggestions on a good brand? 8mm good enough?

i just feel that anything with nascar on the box(borg warner) may not be for me as it is probably the same part as the cheaper duralast just costing more...if thats the case maybe i should just settle for the duralast ones. this is not a raced car...but it would be nice to get all the volts to the plugs. thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Why is it that MSD dom´t recommend solid core cables?
Many cars is originally equipt with copper core cables and resistors in the ends? Is it a problem to run such cables with MSD and why?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Why run suppressor wire instead of copper core....?

Few reasons. The most important is to extend the life of all your electronics.... don't want the engine to quit going down a track....

Copper core wire in lengths of 2 - 3 feet will have a lot of capacitance. Putting braided shielding over spark plug wires is the worst thing you can do.... x10 the capacitance with braids....

Capacitance is bad in high voltage applications. When discharging a high voltage through a cable with high capacitance, it creates large current surges ( in the thousands of amps) for brief periods. Over time, these continuous large current spikes do alot of damage to everything they are connected too. Including your cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires.

There is not any good reason to use solid core wires. Also there is no reason to have any spark plug voltage higher then 40,000 in any street or many race vehicals. Don't give into the gimmics....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts