Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has wired up a late model alternator in an early mustang?

I want to use the newer style serpentine belt system, alternator brackets and alternator from an '88 lincoln 5.0 HO in my '66 mustang. I'm unsure how to do this because I believe the late model has an internal regulator.

I've read the article in FM on the powermaster alternator and might be forced to go that route; however, I would like to reuse the alternator from the Lincoln right now.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Which alternator - if it's the one with the rectangular plug in the side with two black feed wires coming out ("IC" type they call it IIRC), it is a 5 wire hookup but I don't have access to a diagram here. The green/red goes to the existing green/red, the black wires to the battery and I forget where the other two go. The later 3G model is an easy 3 wire hookup. If you have the IC type, replace the connector with a new one as it's prone to FIRE. The rebuild models should come with a new connector in the box. Ford had a big problem with these in the mid 80's. Stupid idea for an alternator hookup.

Note to FM - can you stop blocking Network54 items? That's still...unsmart.

1967 Falcon 4 door w/351C - Owner built, owner abused.
70 Mustang 302 / 06 Ranger, 04 SuperCrew parts hauler
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 11/21/06 5:29am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ckelly on 11/21/06 5:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alternator has 3 wire connectors; however, it has the rectangular plug on the top. Also, how can I tell if it has an internal regulator? Myalternator looks different then the picture that is shown. Is the regulator bolted to the back of the alternator or is in inside?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
An 88 Lincoln will have a 2G alternator. The regulator will be bolted on it with the commutator brushes attached to it. It will have similar connections as the 3G shown above ( at least functionwise) so it can be used also. Stu

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what concerns me because my alternator does not have anything bolted on it and I pulled it from a 88 lincoln Mark VII LSC.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
If it doesn't have the regulator on it it may be an optional 100 Amp unit. Stu

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Sounds like the optional external regulator version. I don't have the wirng diagram for it. The 3G would be a better choice for an upgrade otherwise you may as well just do a good rebuilt stock alternator.

Ford 1G and 2G alts both have poor low rpm charging issues that the 3G addresses. Stu

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will upgrade to a 3G but for now I am going to use the stock Lincoln alternator. I guess since it does have an external regulator I can use the existing wire harness, right?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Without a wiring diagram for the Lincoln I could not say for sure but the connections should be the same for the Field, Stator and the Battery. So double check. Stu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts