Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have dogs? My faithful companion of 13 years needs to go down and I can't do it. She is a little 3 lb Yorkie and never leaves my side. Her face is the spitting image of Gizmo from the movie Gremlins and that is her name. She went blind a year ago and now her hips are so bad she struggles to get around. Last few weeks she has gotten real bad and can't go outside anymore to go if you know what I mean. She used to jump between me and the wife and growl at the wife. She wants no one in the room except me and her. I am hers and hers alone. It was the funniest thing you ever saw this little furball growling at anything she viewed as a threat to me. She likes everyone but when I get home it's like they don't exist, used to sleep on the floor beside my side of the bed. She would lay in the drivway while I messed around in the garage and would come get me when she decided it was time to go in, then if I didn't come with her she would scratch the door until my wife let her back out. She knew the sound of my pickup and would go nuts when I got home, I had to say hi to her first every night before everyone else. You can't beat a good dog, total love. My son leaves for the Air Force Tuesday and I will probably lose Giz very soon as well. I'm not liking this getting old stuff one bit.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I am sorry.

My parents had a dog, when I was born. Jessie was his name, a black lab, and was my babysitter for the first four years of my life. When my dad and uncle were doing projects around the house. If they wanted to know where I was they would just call the dog and then they know exactly where I was. We had to put him down when I was five.

Then our lastest dog a German Shepard named Ritz just disappeared the day before Thanksgiving. Which is quite uncommon for him. Never could find him. Right before Ritz disappered, someone was kind enough to abanded three kittens only a few days old near our house. One of them has taken after my dog Ritz, having the exact same behavior as the dog did. Chasing birds off the deck and seeing what I am doing when I am working on the car etc... I laugh when I see that cat doing the same stuff that Ritz did.

Again, I am truely sorry.

Ben

·
Registered
521 Posts
I know exactly how you feel buddy.When I lived at home my parents had a Lhasa Apso that we had to put to sleep.She was my best friend and no one was able to take on the task.But as much as it hurt I took it upon myself to take her to the vet.But You know what before we got there she passed on in my car.I miss her still. but now I have a 4 year old male Lhasa and boy is he a horse!LOL He is my best friend And I couldnt do without him .I live on my own now and he goes everywhere with me .So I know how it is.
My prayers are with you and I hope you get through this ok.
Bob

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That has to be a very hard decision to make. My wifes folks went thru that with there dog. She was 13 as well, blind, cancer, etc. They put her down 4 weeks ago. There other dog, shepard/wolf cross, only 5, had hip cancer, and legs, had to put her down. The other 2 dogs ran away 3 weeks ago and havent been found. They live on a mountain with 22 acres, so they probably got attacked by a bear or cougar.
I have 2 boxers, 2 and 3 years old, and they finish the family, 2 kids, wife, 4 cars, etc. I'm not looking forward to the decision you have to make but it is in the best interest of the dog to put it out of pain. I've only had my dogs for a few years now, I can only imagine the pain you are going thru. My deepest wishes on you and you will be ok. We are all dog lovers here, and we will listen when it gets hard.

Rick

·
Registered
539 Posts
Man I feel for you. I put my trusty Lab mut Shadow down about 8 years ago. Still miss her. She was about 12 went outside to do her duty and seemed to have had a stroke. Carried that 90 pound dog outside for five days before we decided to have the deed done. Our new dog is a pound dog. We think "Bubba the wonder dog" is about 10. He is THE best damn dog we've ever had. I dread the day he goes because we will never get another like him. Get another one right away. That's we have always done. You can't replace him but there is no better companion than a dog. Red a great quote once . It said " Dear God please let me be half the person my dog thinks I am." Thoughts to you.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Well, I made the mistake of getting hooked on Great Danes.

The are a great breed,awesome power,good with kids but,they don't live very long.

My last one was put to sleep at 6 years old.

She was a great dog,her name was Dana and she was a fawn about 170 lbs.

She had cancer that turned her shoulder to mush.

I took her into the vet because she was walking around with a limp.

I thought she just slipped in the backyard on ice or something,but the x-ray showed that it was real bad.

The vet looked at the x-ray and said "how the hell did that dog support that body wieght on that totally rotted out shoulder?"

I said "are you sure it's that bad,she seemed to walk sorta ok and always would obey me when I called her over?"

He said back,Tom its completly gone the only way to even possibly try to save her is to amputate the leg and put her in Chemo treatments and even then she might not live more than a couple months.

He then told me to take her home and think about what I wanted to do,I then asked him how much pain was she in with her shoulder like this?

He said it was no doubt that it was very very painfull for her to have this condition,I told him then put her to sleep right now....he did......I miss my big girl.........RIP Dana.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Golden Retriver.She's a really good dog just like Dana was.I miss Dana so much.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dogs, the best friend of man. I think that the reason why they have such short life spans is that we are able to give the unfortunate dogs a better chance at life with people who love and nurture them. Of course that is not too scientific, but it does seem logical.

I have had two dogs pass away that lived to be 15. Good, happy, mongrels. True, they will never be forgotten and they will never be replaced, but this has opened up room for another couple of dogs to take their place instead of having to be put down at the pound or in an abusive house that does not really want one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Try changing your feed time a little bit each day... you might be able to move back or forward that 3:00 AM cycle.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My dogs woke me up early as well. I just take them out at 11.30pm before my bed and they do there nasty. They got into the routine and dont bug me anymore. Worth a shot. I also let them rest after there dinner and then send them outside about 1 hour after, then at 11.30pm. It's working so far.

Rick

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like a dogs life can be ruff...ruff!

(the laugh track kicks in with a noise sounding like newspaper being crumpled)

·
Registered
698 Posts
One of the best movie lines. In As Good as it Gets, Jack Nicholson at the piano "over a dog." Yep, humans crying over dogs. Only a dog owner would comprende.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On 2002-03-07 18:24, Greg Cook wrote:

HOWEVER! I guess due to the blindness, the dog has lost all sense of day and night. Now everyday at 3 AM without fail, she's buggin' me to go outside. She always does her "business", so I can't knock her for that. It's just that this daily 3 AM thing is gettin' really old, really fast.

Any Ideas???
It might be becasue she has her internal clock set wrong but I'd also wonder if she had an underlying problem. Watch her closely if she is drinking more than she should. Also watch if she is urinating only at the wrong time or if she is urinating more frequently (greater volumes) than usual. If she is drinking a lot and urinating larger volumes than something may be wrong.

There are many diseases that can cause this. For instance, diabetes can cause blindness and increased urges to urinate. Perhaps a trip to the vet is in order.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A Dachshund-sized dog should drink about 1.5 cups of water per day. If she is drinking significantly more than that (say 3 cups or more) it is abnormal.

Blood chemistry is a good screening test to pick up dieases that could cause her to urinate more. However, if she started going outside more frequently since the test was done things might have changed.

A mild heart murmur may or may not be significant. If she is still active and has normal blood values she'd probably do fine under anesthesia.

Of course, listen to your vet, he/she can actually see your dog and better assess her.

Good Luck,
David

·
Registered
100 Posts
My late aunt had a Dachshund. If you ever walked one in the snow you'd understand why they were called "weiner dogs" ... thats what dragged in the snow and banged into stairs.
Poor thing didn't die from shrinkage though ... he was very old.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We had to put our 13 yr old lab/retriver mix down this past summer. She had a stroke she never recovered from. They told us that they could do blood tests and a few other things to see if it would help, but she was already having troubles with her hips, her eyes were getting bad, and she was starting to have seizures (not something that is pleasant to witness) and we decided it was best for the dog to let her rest. That was the second hardest thing I have ever had to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts