Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do ya have to take dash pad off to remove 6x9 old speaker. would like to put a nice speaker in its place. if dash must be removed, how hard is that to do.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I undid mine from underneath but I removed the glove box too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the speaker on a hinge thats what it looks like, but cant get it out. area where speaker is, is an area that is square, that is down about an inch from steel dash.
its hard to explain (this is a 64 galaxie)

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
On a '64 if you still have a padded dash, carefully insert a screwdriver along edge of the cover/speaker grill and pry it up. It will pop right up. Then there is a screw at each end of the speaker that holds it. The speaker grill has clips that go into holes to hold it in place.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my padded dash does not have a speaker grille to pry off. it just has holes in padded dash where sound comes out.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
Ohhh so someone replaced the dash pad at some point and didn't leave a hole to get the speaker out. If they didn't change anything from how it was stock for the speaker i don't know of any way to get that speaker out from the bottom as there is like a lip in there that the speaker sits on so it doesn't fall through the hole. Can you post a picture of it?

You might have to make a speaker grill of some kind and cut a hole to get that speaker out. You've removed the radio and ashtray to be sure they didn't alter it so the speaker comes out the bottom? Those 2 things will be in the way but you might be able to shine a flash light up there and look to see if it's possible. Or you have to remove the dash pad which is probably glued down so might create a problem there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts