Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Weiand Dual Quad intake for a small block Ford. I've been doing quite a bit of research online, but can not find any info on it.

I believe it may be from the mid to late 70's. Towards the front of it, it says Weiand, and under that is "Say Why - And".

Can anyone give me any information on this? Would pics help?

I'm trying to find out what it may be worth.

Thanks,

~Jeff

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a Weiand Dual Quad intake for a small block Ford. I've been doing quite a bit of research online, but can not find any info on it.

I believe it may be from the mid to late 70's. Towards the front of it, it says Weiand, and under that is "Say Why - And".

Can anyone give me any information on this? Would pics help?

I'm trying to find out what it may be worth.

Thanks,

~Jeff
collecror's item you have . guy's that collect scap metal will take it off your hands or ask whatever you want for it . lower the price till it sells

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan, thanks for the reply. I see new dual quad intakes range from $280 to over $500 at Summit Racing.

The one I have is a low-rise, dual plane. I can't even find a picture of the one I have doing a Google search.

I have been searching Ebay and Craigslist for it for a long time for something similar. The least expensive 'Vintage' Weiand dual quad is around $400, and that is for an Olds motor. There is another for $500, also for an Olds.

Would $450 be a reasonable 'starting bid'?

I would rather sell it to 'one of you guys' than to put it on Ebay....

Thanks again,

~Jeff

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Dan, thanks for the reply. I see new dual quad intakes range from $280 to over $500 at Summit Racing.

The one I have is a low-rise, dual plane. I can't even find a picture of the one I have doing a Google search.

I have been searching Ebay and Craigslist for it for a long time for something similar. The least expensive 'Vintage' Weiand dual quad is around $400, and that is for an Olds motor. There is another for $500, also for an Olds.

Would $450 be a reasonable 'starting bid'?

I would rather sell it to 'one of you guys' than to put it on Ebay....

Thanks again,

~Jeff
Its yours , like said ...put a price on it , doesnt sell , lower price till its sold

·
Registered
576 Posts
That intake might be even older than you think...possible made in the middle '60s. But, old doesn't mean valuable all the time. That intake is gonna have a very limited appeal to most people. Theres just so many cheaper and easier ways to make power now. Hell, there was prob easier ways back in the 60s too.

That intake could be made to run..and look good while it was doing it...but not many are gonna want to take th etime and effort to do it.

Somebody that wants a period correct car, and has money to spend may grab it, ya never know. Put it on e-bay as an auction and see what it brings, then let us know...Iv got one on a shelf that needs a couple of heli-coils that I'll use someday,,,if I can find the linkage and a pair of 450 carbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, sounds like a plan. Like I said, I would rather sell it to someone on this forum, so I know it will go into something cool, and maybe actually see pics of what it's going in.

I will put it for sale here in the Air and Fuel section, and maybe look to see what it would take to put it on Ebay. I've bought quite a few things, but haven't sold anything there.

I'll take some pics, and post them soon.

Thanks for the replies...

~Jeff

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You might get lucky. I picked up an old F4B at a yard sale for $20, cleaned it up and put it on Epay. Two people got into a bidding war and I got $138 for it.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
That intake new sells for $329.95 at Summit. I'm guessing that a tunnel ram like that hasn't changed much over the years so it'd probably work just as good as a new one.

I wouldn't dismiss their potential so quick. Hot Rod did a huge manifold comparision test a few years ago and if I remember correctly the tunnel ram was right up at the top. They compaired several types of manifolds such as dual quad high rise, tripple two's, single quad, etc. as well as different carb types and sizes and the tunnel made the most peak HP which isn't surprising, but what was is that it made better mid range HP and Torque and they said it worked really well even on a street car. As I recall the tunnel ram they used was one of the "kits" from summit that included the carbs and they also topped it off with a pair of 750's. They used a fairly healthy, not radical SBC in the tests in case you're wondering.

I've actually thought about going that route just for the nasty 60's look. That set-up along with one of the old Hilborn style scoops sticking out of the hood! :eek:

John

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
65FL , the op might have one of the dual plane 2x4 intakes

he's big mistake is looking at what other brands (Olds) sold for .
not many gm T/R's OR 2X4 intakes for non chev's where made or show up for sale

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
65FL , the op might have one of the dual plane 2x4 intakes

he's big mistake is looking at what other brands (Olds) sold for .
not many gm T/R's for non chev's where made or show up for sale
I guess I need to start reading more closely, he never did say tunnel ram did he? Oops!

Okay, forget everything I said. If it were a Ford dual quad it might get more interest since I'm guessing they'd be harder to find. Otherwise like has already been said there are easier and cheaper ways to make power. I still see dual quads all the time at shows so someone out there will want it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here you go, I got some pics of it...
DSCF5952.jpg DSCF5953.jpg DSCF5954.jpg DSCF5957.jpg

I can take more pictures if you want.

It is really decent shape. No cracks, and all the bolt holes are good (no helicoils).

Edit; I found some more info on it, it may be from the Mid-60's...

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
It looks great. And the reason it has the words "Say 'why-and'" is simply how to pronounce their company name. Most folks think it's called Weeeeand, not waaayand.
, thats funny about the weeeeand , I called them that way once , a long ago once
still can buy that type 2x4 . but upgraded performance for under $300

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DanH said:
still can buy that type 2x4 . but upgraded performance for under $300

I'm a little confused. First you tell me it's a collectors item, now you are saying this? I also agree that comparing them to the Olds is not a fair comparison, but I have not found any others like this for Ford SB on Ebay or Craigslist.

I do appreciate the opinions here, but I would feel foolish asking a million dollars for something that isn't worth two bucks, know what I mean?

Then again, I don't want to sell something for two bucks if it's worth a million...(Obviously arbitrary numbers)

I am not intending to be rude, but I realize something is worth what someone will pay for it, and I want it to be a fair price for both parties.

I am located in Watertown, WI, if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

~Jeff

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I'm a little confused. First you tell me it's a collectors item, now you are saying this? I also agree that comparing them to the Olds is not a fair comparison, but I have not found any others like this for Ford SB on Ebay or Craigslist.

I do appreciate the opinions here, but I would feel foolish asking a million dollars for something that isn't worth two bucks, know what I mean?

Then again, I don't want to sell something for two bucks if it's worth a million...(Obviously arbitrary numbers)

I am not intending to be rude, but I realize something is worth what someone will pay for it, and I want it to be a fair price for both parties.
I am located in Watertown, WI, if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

~Jeff
yes I did say its a collector item . Who would collect them is also in that post.

setting a price for someone else is plain... lets say I dont do it.
you know what you have in it .should know what you want out of it .

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I dont think its anything real special. Id slap it on E Gay with a reserve at $150 and see what happens. You've got to realise that in order to use this intake youd need to buy (or get) not one but two carbs, linkage, air cleaner, ect.....In other words the intake would be one of the the cheapest parts of the whole deal.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I dont think its anything real special. Id slap it on E Gay with a reserve at $150 and see what happens. You've got to realise that in order to use this intake youd need to buy (or get) not one but two carbs, linkage, air cleaner, ect.....In other words the intake would be one of the the cheapest parts of the whole deal.
Yep, best route.

Dan said folks looking for nostalgia will want it, but only if you're selling when they're wanting to buy.

The value is only as much as someone is willing to pay no matter how much you want for it or ask for it.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I'd agree the bottom-up auction starting at $150 is probably the best way to go, with the other option of listing at a much higher price using "Buy It Now or Best Offer". But get ready for some stupid offers. I see them going from $150 to $300 depending on condition and whether Venus is aligned with Mars. The value is purely 'old-school' as brand new versions are out there at less than $300 retail (F-28), and better ones (Air Gap) under $400. Remember, with an auction, you need two guys with simultaneous "Gotta have it" woodies to drive the price.

David

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not to disagree but if ur gonna use ebay I would start at 75 and go from there. Bet you will get double the bids starting that low. People will just bid without trying to look up going prices for similar items. You have to remember when people bid on ebay they look at the price of the item and the price of shipping and do the math. Starting at 150 puts you close to that 200 mark with shipping. Just my opinion....do with it what u must!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts