Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my question I have to exsplain what has been done. I bought a 64 fairlane k code hipo 4 speed car. I bought it from speed shop some of you know I deal with. He has 2 of them. A few years ago his wife wanted her motor rebuilt in her k car. Instead of removing her motor her hubby took motor out of the car which was the second car and rebuilt that one. She was able to still drive hers as motor got built. After motor was rebuilt he removed her motor and replaced the rebuild in her car. Her car motor was set in the second car. Now after they say 1800 miles on that motor it was pulled out . The body was taken apart for a restore. Along came I and bought the second car with her motor setting in the bay.

Now here is my delima.

Does a 64 have matching numbers on the motor that reflects to the origonal car?
I stated to the speed shop I wanted the motor that came in mine if possible. He told me that years ago he was not thinking on selling either but now it is mine and motors are mixed up but both are there with both cars. He said he will sell me the origonal motor he built for his wife for $ 2500 or keep the motor from her car not rebuilt yet`. I can save 2500 and rebuild the motor from other k car which will cost me to build probably not as much. The motor correct to my car has forged pistons along with some goodies, little 289 will haul buggy. I am sure if I build it like origonal motor it will eat up 2500. My last question is what is best? Being he built my motor for his wife I am sure it is built pretty well. I am thinking pay the 2500 to get the correct motor to car with motor rebuilt and be done with it. I am on a fence kinda here.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
To my knowledge Ford did not place any VIN type numbers on Engines or Transmissions.
You will have some Date codes, But since both cars are 64's the Date codes should be about the same.

As long as both Engines are HiPo motors I wouldn't worry about anything other then which will be easier on your pocket. If you can trust his previous building of the engine. I would say your money and time ahead.

I'm not up on Identifying HiPo motors, Different balancers and pushrod guide slots cast into the heads from what I can remember?

Post some pics of the car and motor.

Jet

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rcode: I think your ok, as both are the same year, but, being a K-code you want to be sure
I can ask Bob Mannel over at Ford Club of America if you like, He;s the K-code expert that most go to when purchasing one

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. Both cars are K codes same year, both black interiors , red out in color, both buckets seats 4 speeds. No difference in either excelpt motors are mixed up, one rebuilt , other not. Being he built my motor for himself I would exspect it is a great build. When I asked about the rebuilt motor that matches my car he stated all he put into that motor. I donot think I can build the other for 2500.

·
Registered
36 Posts
To my knowledge Ford did not place any VIN type numbers on Engines or Transmissions.

Jet
Hey Jet

This may be true for our Fairlanes, but I know for a fact that Ford did stamp some engines with VINs. I pulled the motor on the wife's 68 J code Mustang and whats this...the last 6 numbers of the VIN were stamped on the block right behind the intake manifold. Sure surprised me, the original engine that still had the nylon timing gear inside too (missing a couple of teeth).

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All cobra jet motors have the vin stamp on back of block to match car and title but donot know if it made a dif in a 64.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I spoke to Bob Mannel, the author of the fanastic book "the small block ford" & the editor of The Faiirlane Club of America magazine.
Bob says, do get the casting numbers of both blocks, the serial numbers of your car & send them to Bob, if for some reason your "new" motor & body don;t jive you could be leaving allot of money on the table if & when you decide to sell her as an "all original" K-code Fairlane. Of if the #;s raise any questions, you could just be adding doubt to potential buyers.
Seems you just never knew what #'s around 64, did & did not match.
And, also, for 2500 bucks for a rebuilt K-code running motor, BUY it!
If you like i can send you Bobs; email address or if your a club member you can contact him on the Fairlane Club of America site of course.
Very interested to see how this turns out

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke to Bob Mannel, the author of the fanastic book "the small block ford" & the editor of The Faiirlane Club of America magazine.
Bob says, do get the casting numbers of both blocks, the serial numbers of your car & send them to Bob, if for some reason your "new" motor & body don;t jive you could be leaving allot of money on the table if & when you decide to sell her as an "all original" K-code Fairlane. Of if the #;s raise any questions, you could just be adding doubt to potential buyers.
Seems you just never knew what #'s around 64, did & did not match.
And, also, for 2500 bucks for a rebuilt K-code running motor, BUY it!
If you like i can send you Bobs; email address or if your a club member you can contact him on the Fairlane Club of America site of course.
Very interested to see how this turns out
You the man, thanks a bunch. I done told shop I wanted the rebuilt motor, the one that came in my car to begin with. Both cars have all the matching parts complete. I donot wish to sell mine. I am fixing it for my wife to sport around on. The shop sell theirs I donot know. I know it was in great shape and they redoing it again from ground up. However I know the shop owners are thinking about making 3 piles of their colection. One to sell, one to keep and a donot know pile. When they get all together to sell I may goto the bank and sell some things I have. I know there is over 42 427 motors there and no telling what else. Too much to even start to list.
I will get numbers off my car, donot know about theirs, they kinda funny but good as gold people . Thanks again

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
roger also another delima awaits me in bringing this car home. Being the shop has theirs in taking it apart they want to use mine as a digram or pattern to make sure all their molding goes on correct. My car has been there a while now and wish to bring it home. Is there somewhere out there a digram or directions to show where all the trim package goes on a 64 fairlane? I am sure someone or in a book for a body shop has such to help them guide their way back to building a clasic car correct for a customer. I would like to get all info on how to put a 63 back together.

Alot here and I do it as well numbers all moldings, screws and so forth where each part goes when it come time to go back. I donot blame shop for wanting my car to stay close by for that reason. If I had such said digram it would turn my car loose insteadf of me going 5 hours away to work on it. Be here at home.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
My cast in Nov '63 Five Bolt 289 HiPo block does not have any VIN #'s on it. I gave my info to Bob and he said it is a HiPo and that it likely came out of a Fairlane or over the counter. It's standard bore and available if someone is looking for one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rcode - Definately join the Fairlane Club of America, Bob Mannel, is the Kcode guru, he knows every bolt & nut & how they go on by memory!
At the Fairlane club site, there is a section, just for K-code info
You will have access to all the info you need

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Actually, block and tranny numbering was sporadic and became standard 3 to 4 years later for almost all engines. I'd check the block where you said, and (usually) the top of the trans for the partial VIN. I have later '60s blocks and trannies here with them, and being HiPo, it may as well.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts