Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, ok, I think I have my idea straight in my head now, wanted to run it past ya'all to see if I'm missing anything etc...

Goal is to convert from original one bowl master cylinder to a two bowl system and put a line lock on the fronts for burnouts and having fun :)

Car has 4 wheel drums, they were all rebuilt so not ready to throw that all away and go to disc.

So, I'll get a 67/68 manual drum brake master cylinder, O'reillys has part number 10-1485

I have my Jegs Line Lock kit already

I'll plumb the brake light sender to the rear brake outlet on the master and connect rear brakes in there using a T of some type.

Front brakes will be plumb'd to include the link lock selonoid etc...

Aside from creative plumbing, anything I'm missing?????

oh, should the master have two bowls the same size, or should the front be larger or don't it matter???

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
I like it! If you get a drum/drum MC, seems like you are all set up and don't have to worry about which outlets have the residual and proportional valves. Just plug & go!

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Sounds like a winner. Note that you may need to reuse your existing master cylinder plunger rod that connects to your brake pedal in order to put the pedal in the right position to get the proper stroke.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went from the single to the dual, just bolt it on with the new rod, mine works great(66 gal). the front resevoir should be larger and go to the front brakes.

have fun!

·
Registered
504 Posts
The front brakes brake the front wheels before the rear brakes brake the rear wheels, right? Shouldnt it anyway be possible to take a burnout with a standard brake system?

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
The action is simultaneous on drum/drum. Braking force is less on the rears due to wheel cylinder size and shoe diameter/width - but they still apply. Some disc/drum cars have a proportioning delay, but it's for very light braking so the front discs don't take all the wear in day-to-day gentle braking. Neither will help with power-braking for burnouts, and the rears will both drag and overheat, along with glazing on extended burnouts when holding the brake pedal. Line-lock it. :tup:

David

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Texasbikers - The drum/drum manual master should have reservoirs the same size. Power and disc MCs have a larger rear reservoir, and the front brakes are plumbed to it. FYI - most MCs have larger res's to the rear of the MC, and most setups use the rear res and port for the front brakes, as it's primary to the brake pedal pushrod and directly actuated. Front brakes are almost never plumbed to the front port of the MC.

David

Here's an option - the Raybestos #MC36222 for 1968 Galaxie with manual drum/drum system. Aluminum like the original version. It includes brake switch locations under each port, reducing the use of T-fittings and connections. :D At Rockauto.com for under $43 (no core charge as it's all new), or perhaps locally:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts