Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a ac delco one wire alt
If so could you help me on the wiring of it.Iwent to a ac delco becauce of price. the ford one wire is 2 x the price + core.
I'm useing the ford one wire for our Falcon becauce I had it and the wire harness.I built the brackets for both, may have to change all little forthe ac alt.

Alan

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm running a GM style 1 wire alternator. I got it from scummit. Magnum I think was the 'seller's name. Nice powdercoated color and chrome blades. Working great 2 years now. Only like 80 bucks or so, brand new. Can't beat that.................Also easy enough to custom make/cobble up mounting brackets too.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you tell me how to wire it up

Alan

·
Registered
521 Posts
All you have to do is run a #8 or #10 wire from the batt. post on the back to the starter sol.The regulator is internal so you dont need any of the other wires.Most of them also you have to rev the motor a little upon startup to get the alt. to start charging.
Bob

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Yeah, what he said..........I've got a shutoff switch, (along with battery in hatch), so just run a good gauge wire back from the alternator to the battery side of the cutoff switch.
If you don't, and put it on the 'other side' of the switch, you won't be able to shut the engine off via the switch. (the main purpose of the switch)........

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i got one too. Make sure you use nice soldered (sp?) connections. My bottom adjustable bracket is from the junkyard, and the top one is custom. If you had a alternator in there it shouldnt take much to put that in. Your brackets should work with a little tweeking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
mustang68mustangs, do you know why those 1-wire alts have you rev before they start charging? I put one in my (ugh) chebby van in place of an old 60 amp one and now it won't charge until i rev it up a bit. Makes no sense to me other than to make starting easier.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
It's the magic inside the alternator. Being as there is no external regulator to 'switch it on', (i.e. make it start charging), it has an electronic switch, (if you may), on its internal regulator that (for lack of better wording), '/excites' it, and makes it start to 'put out' over 2000 rpm. And, thusly, when it idles slower, and for sure when the engine shuts off, and/or dies, it kills the internal switch inside the alternator, making it not function, so you don't draw voltage during key off times.
Ever have a faulty regulator, (and/or shorted internally), on a regular charging style system? Dead battery is usually the first sign/symptom. This way with the 1 wire, it's all internal with the alternator. Voila'.......the 1 wire alternator.........Simple enough?.......I could use all sorts of HUGE lingo/terminology, but I didn't want to have to explain this twice............Fairly simple unit............

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a question about the two wire plug in on the one wire alt.It has been a long time ago since I've worked on a chebby but I think it is for the excite the alt to charge right off and the second wire was for idiot light.I could be wrong but why is it there.
Alan

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
True one wire alts don't use this plug, and they start charging once you rev it. From the factory, one terminal went to the BAT terminal on the alt, and the other to ignition 12V. That way the ignition turns the charging on and off.

-Brian

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Did you find out how to hook up one wire alt to car I have a 69 Torino and the dash lights and fuel gage does not work with one wire I have heard that you have to hook a second wire I need to know how and where [email protected]
I don't think the alternator is causing those problems. Sounds like a fuse box and/or instrument panel voltage regulator. As a test, you can ground the fuel gauge sender wire to the frame and the gauge should read full scale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts