Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a swap from an in-line 6 200 to a 302. I bought a built c4 tranny form gear stars. They sent a video of it being “ dynod” everything shifted and sounded fine. Fast forward three months to yesterday.

I went to start car and take it for its first voyage. Car has park, reverse, neutral.
Drive stays in first and won’t shift out of it . When manually trying to shift from 1 to 2 it stays in first and then 2-drive still in first.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would look at the Modulator Valve on the back of the trans first. Make sure it has full manifold Vacuum and that the pin is installed correctly. I had the same problem once and it was a burnt Vacuum line laying on my header. It would not shift out of first gear. Let us know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well took it to the local mechanic who is putting my exhaust in. We took it for a test drive and he thinks it’s actually starting in first as it has a slight “dog” when accelerating at first.

After driving it finally shifted about 35 mph. What is now presumably 3 as I’m starting in second. It eventually down shift and falls on its face when coming to a stop

Well we start to head back to the shop and he said he is going to stab it and see if anything changes. Well immediately car down shifts from 2 to first then into second and into third. Down shifts to second but not first.

This happens total three times before we got back to the shop and is raining.

Car is now in shop for exhaust to be put on.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry not starting in first in previous post should have been starting in second and can’t figure out how to edit yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far a vacuum goes, I have 17-18 in of mercury at manifold and at line right before modulator on back of transmission

·
Registered
15 Posts
That Vacuum sounds good. Have you had any work done to it lately or has it been sitting for a long period of time? How does the fluid look and smell? Does it have high miles?

I would drop the pan and change the filter and fluid next. Make sure that the little valve and spring are installed correctly under the filter. Then check that your shift linkage is adjusted correctly.

I'm no expert but I help with the basic troubleshooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a brand new rebuild from gear stars. Oil is fresh and new and ran great when they took a video of it and emailed it to me. Not certain why it won’t grab first though.
Trans Oil isn’t burnt and looks fresh still too so,,,? I’m pretty basic troubleshooting myself so I ran into a dead end and wanted to make sure it wasn’t something overly simple

1 - 7 of 7 Posts