Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was re-using the stock bolts, and while torquing one of the heads on (step one 60 ft/lbs) it snapped.
So after removing the head, part of the bolt was sticking out enough to get some vise grips on and twist the broken piece out of the block. Man I'm glad that piece came out...

My question is, since most of the bolts were already torqued down to 60 ft/lbs, is my head gasket still ok? Or should I go get a new set?
Also, has anyone used that copper gasket spray on head gaskets? A friend of mine used it on rebuilding his 400 Cummins big cam (from a 90 Peterbilt) but never on a car motor.
Has anyone used this stuff?

Here's the bolt.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have never put anything on the block or head surface when installing heads, other than the head gasket, that is not to say you cant or shouldnt, I havent.

I would get a new set, if the old ones fail you will have a significant investment in a whole set of gaskets not to mention the time, the potential for engine damage, etc. etc. Get new gaskets.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Yeap ... I've used the "Copper Coat".

Just spray it on let it set up and apply the gasket ...

Not a big deal, especially if it makes you feel a little more comfortable with the installation.

On my 351C 4V I used Copper head gaskets and liberal dose of "Copper Coat" ... no problems ...

I had used it once before on conventional Felpro gaskets as well.

Now for all the "Nay Sayers" out there ...

I'm not saying you shouldn't install dry gaskets ... I'm just saying this is what I did and it worked out just Dandy

Seems I need to put "Disclaimers" on many of my posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
When I was torquing down my head on my first car, I broke an extension, not fun. It just twisted apart, now I have zero cheap extensions, thats one thing you definately want to make sure to do, not use cheapo tools. Anyways, with the head gasket, I've never used any sealer stuff, and its worked out fine for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being Saturday afternoon, and every thing closed already, I called Summit when the bolt broke. They are sending me a new set of bolts for $45.00.

Is Fel-Pro top of the line stuff? I have Federal Moguls now.

My friend swears by that copper coat stuff. Of course, that Cummins he built, leaked like a siv.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Laugh all you want, i use aluminum paint, it works great. the last thing i used it on was a 6-71 Leaktroit (Detroit Deisel). these things have copper crush rings instead of head gaskest, they are notorious for leaking oil out of every possible place on the engine. it has about 900 hours on it and it doesn't leak oil/diesel out of the head yet, it leaks every where else tho.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use copper coat....Never had any troubles.. It helps to distribute heat....prevent hot spots and adds a little extra seal.....I don't care for the scream'en Jimmys....Can't seem to build 1 that does not leak oil no mater how careful i am.......
Russ...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Most of your composition gaskets suggest no sealers be applied.

The aluminum paint and the copper coat came about when the old 390-406-427's and the 272-292-312's (and other brand of engines too) used steel head gaskets. I only use copper coat on copper head gaskets or steel and then about 3-4 sprayings.

Considering the cost of gaskets, I wouldn't re-use it. Once the head gasket has been compressed, it looses some of the ability to seal, specially if it has the wire encased around the cylinders. JMHO though. Your labor is cheap, and you may want to chance re-using the gaskets.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Strokin on 3/12/02 9:08pm ]</font>

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, maybe I'll pick up a new set just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts