Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some Thunderbird Opinions, PLEASE!!

My dream car has always been a 1964 Thunderbird. I currently have a 67 Galaxie as my daily driver. I am currently looking at a 1964 thunderbird with a 390 engine. Guy wants $1k and I got him down to $800.

Issues:

The 390 in it has a thrown rod. Tranny is good. Interior is pretty decent. No dents other than some prev bondo work has cracked off the passenger rear panel. The paint is faded and peeling. This car was driven up until 2008. Even comes with the shop manual.

I am good at body work/prep (not paint). I can pull the engine out and put a running 390 engine in at some point, no problem.

What do you think? Is $800 a good price? Am I better off buying one that runs for $3500+. I only have about $1k to spend right now anyways.

Your opinions are much much appreciated

Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7190083365/in/set-72157630072820857/http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7190083313/

·
Registered
51 Posts
how are the floor pans and trunk pan? i bought a rare 65 tbird for 850, and have dumped about 1700 into it since, and that was without the engine problems you have had. now not trying to scare you off, but if it were me, id still snag it. 390's are common on craigslist in my area. how bad is the damage to the motor? the body and interior looks really good on it, so if you get it and the repairs to the motor end up being too much, im sure you could part it out and get your money back. personally id jump on it. mine is going to need thousands of dollars worth of work, and yours could too, but look at it this way, if you decide to keep it, and fix it, you just saved another classic from the junk pile. i would definitely make sure the unibody, floors, and all that good stuff is solid first. im a newb here though too, so you may want to wait for the experienced guys on here to jump in

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!

The 64 Bird is by far the nicest looking Bird there ever was! It was also my first car and I regret selling it 20 years ago to pay for a nasty divorce....

That car is a STEAL at $800 bucks! And you can find a 390 damn near any city for under $500.

Get it Get it Get it!

FE

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Good looking car.

But, I'm partial to the 66 TBird. I like the grille better, but the 64/65s are still class vehicles with wild interiors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did buy it today for $650. Owner claims its' 8500 mileage is true and has not turned over. Engine certainly doesn't look like it turned over 100k yet . One day about 4 years ago, he went to turn it over and the engine was seized up and never check to see what the problem was, and just assumed it was a thrown rod. I am having it towed tomorrow and should know about the engine condition then. The leather seats are immaculate - just dirty. Car spent about 20 years in Hawaii. There is a link below with about 9 pics of the engine and interior.

RUST:

The car has two rusted-through areas in weird spots like under the lip right above the spare tire (as seen in pic)+ right above the windshield trim on the driver side. No other rusted through areas I could find.

The floor pans seem good. The driver side pan does not seem as solid as the others - it has a little give to it, but no hole in it. The trunk pan is good. Body underneath looks pretty good too with minimal surface rust (at least visibly)

Here is a link to some pics of the engine and inside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7444089750/in/set-72157630289664790

I guess I will be spending more time in the Thunderbird chat than in the Galaxie chat. Thanks for all your comments below! I ended up talking him down to $650 after 2 weeks of negotiation.

1964 Thunderbird has been my dream car since I was 10. 33 years later!!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You stold that car . It will bring that for scrape price. Gota love the interior of a t-bird.

I know where a 66 t-bird is with a 428, a 390 car for 2500, alittle too much I think.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
DAMN! I think it's perfect. I can ALMOST agree that the odometer never flipped except for one tiny thing.

NOBODY IN THE WORLD takes an original 4100 off and puts on an edelbrock on a Bird with 8900 miles on it. I think that motor has been rebuilt or been gone through.

There is no way on gods green earth to RUIN a 4100 even sitting for 47 years especially with that low mileage. I think it's possible it had a long time ago restoration.

Your pics could be larger to show more detail, but she's certainly a good looking car no matter what!

Where are the pics of the rust?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts