Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a B&M shift improvement kit from jegs and was wondering what stage to use. It has two stages, stage I :RV/Heavy Duty, Stage II :Street/Strip. The reasion I am asking is I have no exprence with any shift kits and have no idea how harsh the shifts will be. It's going in 74 f-150 longbed with a very mildly built 390 FE. I dont do alot of towing maby once or twice a year. I use it mostly for a work truck. I'm sure I would be safe by going with the stage I ; however, I would like to hear opinions about using the stage II in a truck from people with exprence.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I've used that B&M kit in a bronco and with the street strip stage, I still didn't think it was firm enough. But that's just me. I like it to shift hard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Was it hard enough to chirp your tires at wide open throttel? How was it under normal acceleration? Do you think it would be hard to tow using the stage II? sorry for all the qustions im just trying to get a good idea of what it is like.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
No, it wouldn't chip the tires. I had a 450hp cleveland and a 4500 stall in a 4400lb Bronco. The trans was a fresh built C6. I could really light up the tires on the launch, but it wouldn't chip them on the shift. This was a dirt race truck. I never was completely happy with the shift kit. It shifted OK for a street ride, but it wasn't nearly enough for a race ride. I would say that it's good for towing or street crusing on stage II. If you want more than that, you'd better get something else.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I've got a b&m shift kit in a '83 f100, or should I say I HAD one in it. The truck has a 525 HP 460, and with the shift kit in it, every time it'd shift from 1st to 2nd, it would get out of control. I put a stock valvebody back in it, and it still will spin the tires when it shifts, so much so that you have to ease out of the throttle then get back into it when it shifts. I was pleased with the B&M kit, it was plenty hard enough for street use.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
No, it wouldn't chip the tires. I had a 450hp cleveland and a 4500 stall in a 4400lb Bronco.
Loose converters like that really soften up the shifts. The slippage of a converter that stalls that high makes the trans feel like it doesn't shift as hard... when it's really the converter. I've known several people complain about how soft their car shifts after going to a loose converter.

Something to think about...

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts