Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscriber
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 68 Mustang with a 302 and a T-5. This summer I pulled the engine, put AFR 165 heads on, a Mass-Flo EFI kit (including the Victor Jr intake), and a cable clutch conversion kit. I have been trying to reuse the long tube headers that came on the car (seem to be some sort of Hooker Super Comp knock off), but they're in the way of the cable and I can't for the life of me get them to seal at the collector. Eventually I want to do a rack-and-pinion conversion, so I've been thinking about going with a set of JBA's "mid-length" headers, especially since they come with the EFI attachments ready to go. They make more room, and they're already coated. However, I've done a search in the forums and read all the posts about short vs. long tube, and it seems that I'll definately lose some power. It's a street car though, my daily driver, and never driven on any sort of track. Will the JBA's be a big disappointment, or should they be alright? Also, would the Doug's/Doug Thorley tri-y's be a good option? I've never seen them in person, so do they take up just as much room as a set of long tube headers? (And yeah, I know, the Victor Jr isn't ideal for my setup.......)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
For a street car you might not notice a difference with the shorties. They do make better clearance for the clutch cable. I don't know about Doug Thorly Tri Ys, but the generic Tri Y's onmy Falcon get in the way of the cable. I have no other way but to route between the 6 and 7 primaries.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I would go with the JBA midlength headers, I just installed my FPA longtubes which clear the clutch cable nicely, but they are very expensive and not very easy to install. Things get much worse as far as fitment goes when you are dealing with aftermarket motor mounts and safety bells as well.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Mine gave me more gound clearance, especially if you go with the two bolt ball and socket flange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts