Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im trying to build a high performance 302. I want this to be the a good streetable engine, and yet get as much power as i can without nitrous or a supercharger. Ill add a little nitrous later. I dont have much of a spending limit...just that im trying to keep it under $5000 not including the parts i already have. I have a 69 block, and crank. Eagle H-beam rods, KB pistons 9:9:1 compression. I was going to use a new pair of Windsor Sr. Heads but im not sure. I want the most power for my money and yet keep it streetable. What should i use for Intake,Cam, Rockers,carb? Do i really need a bigger oil pan then stock? Any advice is appreciated because one engine builder doesnt seem to care, while the other is talking about building a full out drag motor. Thanks in Advance, Ryan

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
gee onlya $5000 budget? Whatever will you do with such chump change?

Seriously, you ought to read the 400HP302 articles in the archvies...it is probably about what you are looking for, and can achieve with a 9:1 302 on the edge of streetability.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Get a nice set of AFR 165 or 185 heads, mill the deck to zero for compression and quench, install a solid lifter flat tappet cam of around 236-240 @ 0.050" on the intake, a little more on the exhaust, dot all the i's and cross all the t's, and get ready to make some power. As far as the powerband is concerned, it will pull cleanly from around 1800 rpm with a Victor jr, and come on HARD from around 4k to 7k rpm. If you use an automatic tranny, go smaller on the cam and consider an Air Gap or Stealth intake, especially if a 8" 'race' converter is not in the cards.

Most of my engine specs are in my sig in case you're interested. I use a 110 degree lobe seperation for nitrous, and would go tighter if nitrous wasn't part of the equation.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are AFR heads? Im going with a c-4 tranny in this. What stall should i run? Ive got an Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake brand new...But i was worried about it not being streetable. I like the idea of how FM built there 302...except they built it for a t-5. What should i change to make it work better with a c-4? thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Sounds like you are building a 302 for the street. If it will see a lot of street miles, you won't want an extra loose 8" race converter. A good 10" unit will probably be a good choice. Now, the converter has been chosen, and engine that works with it's stall speed needs to be built, or the car will be a DOG taking off.

If the converter stalls around 3000 rpm, the engine needs to be making good power there, or it will be a 'dud' taking off. I would recommend the AFR 165 heads, a cam with around 224-230 degrees of intake duration @ 0.050", a 650 cfm carb, and the Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a 1" open spacer. Follow this up with a set of Hooker Super Comp 1 5/8" headers and 2.5" exhaust with Flowmaster MANDREL BENT tailpipes ($99 from Summit) and you've got a great combo.

Be sure to check the valvetrain geometry. Chances are, you'll need longer pushrods.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Forged or hyperutectic pistons? If you are going to run the bottle later I would get forged pistons for it since you are buying the parts. Also for any significant bottle you don't want 10:1 pistons. I tend to agree with the stroker comments. For 5 grand you should be able to afford to put together a stroker motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts