Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a search engine but I'm looking for opinions here.

I have the KH 4 piston disk brakes on my 67 Galaxie and although they work they are expensive to repair and replace and many after market wheels don't fit over the caliper.

So what's a good alternative? Is there anything out there that would just replace the caliper and perhaps rotor if need be or I'm I looking at new spindles and all for something as good or better?

Chris.

·
Registered
58 Posts
677litre, You might try Scarebird. I got a set of mounting brackets from them for my '67 XL and I was able to keep my uprights. You will need to buy some S10 calipers and Mustang rotors. They have a full list of part numbers. They will clear most 15 inch and up wheels. I have been pleased with the results with the stock master cylinder and they are a great improvement on the drums.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Now, opinions being like a certain part of the anatomy, I'll throw mine out there.

Keep what you've got. Yeah, they're not dirt-cheap to work on but they're not horrible either.

Mac's shows rotors at $150 a side (which unless you're doing open-track events or driving 40K/year is at most a once-every-five-years expenditure.) As for everything else, a look at Rockauto shows rebuilt calipers are $80 + core but you can get a seal kit for $15 that'll let you do all four piston seals and boots and those calipers don't have slides or anything else on them to wear. The only pad Rockauto lists is a closeout cheapie at $18 a set, a set of Porterfield R-4S pads (an excellent street pad) would run $150, there's probably alternatives in between.

And they're better brakes than anything you might replace them with.

As for wheels...I'd be surprised if you find any 16in or 17in wheels of Galaxie-appropriate offset that don't clear them, and IMO it makes no sense to spend money on 15in wheels 'cause the tire selection for Galaxie-size tires is horrible.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with JEM. They are good brakes and though it might cost a little more to work with them, they keep things original and there are no guessing games as to what is correct and what isn't when you eventually have to work on them again.

That being said, should you decide to not use them, I'd be interested in what you pull off for my '67 wagon.

Best of luck whatever route you choose to go.

Paul

1969 R-Code, 4-Speed, Drag-Pack Cobra Fastback Project
1967 Mercury Commuter Wagon w/mild 429

My Car Restoration Projects

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I plan on having the car for a longtime, (hopefully), and I'm concerned with parts availability down the road, as well as over all performance. At this point I'll wait and see what I decide to do with the wheels. I already have new 15" 245/50 BFGs so I'd like to get some mileage out of them before switching, problem is I'm stuck with the special stock KH steel rims or spacer on the mags I have now. Oh well.

I'd really love to get someone to custom up a set of aluminum wheels that look like the 66-67 7-litre hub caps. What can I say, I like the look of them and with a little modern flare I think it would great on the old Gal but I don't have a huge budget to get a custom set made up then alone know who might do that kind of thing up here in Canada.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts