Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needs opinions on what's the best aluminum 289/302 intake in a bolt on and go application.

I am restoring Poppy, the 65 Mustang convertible and the 289 2v is going to be a 289 4V when done and it will have power and economy if possible.

So what's y'alls experience with this situation?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I needs opinions on what's the best aluminum 289/302 intake in a bolt on and go application.

I am restoring Poppy, the 65 Mustang convertible and the 289 2v is going to be a 289 4V when done and it will have power and economy if possible.

the best ! looks like the Edebrock Performer fits your need

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
If it is close to stock I would also suggest the 84-85 mustang aluminum intake. You need the egr spacer but just block the ports. Says Ford and works good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I can agree on the above stated intake. I forgot about that one when I posted in your other thread. However period correct would be the one I stated. ;) Otherwise I would suggest the Weiand action plus or Stealth. What cam are you planning? I usually run the Performer RPM air gap with a 262 and up cam on the street.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts

Depends on the rest of the build in my opinion Gary. The old Weiand 8011 Action Plus is pretty good for just switching to a 4v. Still low enough to use a 1 inch spacer too and have a normal air cleaner without hitting the hood. Slightly better performance than the Eddy Performer. If you going with the Eddy Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth, you may not have enough room for a regular air cleaner since they are high rise dual planes. I know on my 69 fastback I could only use a 1/2 inch spacer and had to use a drop base air cleaner when I switched from the Weiand 8011 to a Eddy Performer RPM. The wing nut still hit the underside of the hood a little. I couldn't really tell a performance difference in the seat of the pants between the two.

I still have the Weiand 8011 if you want try it and see how it fits under the hood.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Period correct choice would be an Edelbrock F4B....Cobra intake without saying Cobra. Plenty of them at the swap meets, and good low to mid RPM power, especially if you happen on a 4 hole one, or one that hasn't had the plenum divider cut out. It might give up a few horses to whatever the latest trick of the day is, but it won't look like a cookie cutter when the hood is raised either.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Performer.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Careful - measure that one. It may be the 1980's 351W manifold, which should also be iron and not an improvement for performance (at least over 4800 or so). i only found one source that lists that number, and it shows 351W. However, the same source does not list the -DA version that I know is 351HO, so I'm not sure I trust it. Either measure it or pass anyway. There were a couple Weiand Action-Plus on RacersOutlet for $65-85. I don't know if any are still still there or others to pick from. RacingJunk is another source sometimes.

David

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Cool. I will triple check everything. That was just a reference pic. I will likely go with an edelbrock that I can glass beade and install straight up.
Sounds like you're not "restoring" it, since that would mean restoring it to original condition. IMO look for a COBRA intake that is period correct along with a 4100 carb.

·
Registered
408 Posts
FE That is the intake I was talking about that there were 3 different ones. Ford, Cobra, and Shelby in the spot that says Cobra. Its a sweet intake! :)

·
Banned
6,355 Posts

"ECONOMY" take it you don't want to burn nitro.

want MPG' get an OEM iron 225/271 hp intake .

aluminum powder coating or the chrome for looks

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't know FE but something tells me he would burn Moonshine instead!! :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts