Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking for opinions on replacing my clutch disc without replacing the pressure plate.

The clutch and pressure plate have only about 5000 miles on it.

I have been racing the car on street tires. So for a while I was doing burn outs and launches
by slipping the clutch. It seemed to give a better launch to do it that way, but after a few passes
the clutch would begin slipping really bad.

Its Kevlar/Kevlar and I've been told that kevlar will do that when overheated. However, when I let
it cool down it ran fine. More passes at the track we OK and OK on the street as well.

This winter I've pulled the tranny to do some work on it and also pulled the clutch to inspect it. It
seems worn. (big surprise huh?)

Anyway, the flywheel and pressure plate look fine, they're not warped or burnt looking.

I need to do a number of things on the car this winter, so a whole new clutch kit would break the bank.

I'm considering just replacing the disc and then next year replacing the both. I know conventional wisdom
is to replace both. Unfortunately, my choice are to eliminate one of the other three projects for the
car this winter, or just use the clutch as is, or replace just the disc.

Cars a 68 mustang 347 stroker, AFR heads, mild cam, holley 650, MSD ignition. I was running at an 1/8 mile
track with best time of 8.78 at 84.7 MPH.

Please don't tell me what I want to hear, tell me what you really think!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tom68,

If you just change the disk I would also have the fly wheel resurfaced. I did a 'just disk' replacement last winter and
had major clutch slippage the 1st time at the track this year.
This was on a 347 also. The clutch recovered after several passes, but I don't think it fully recovered. Couldn't get the car below a 1.9 60 foot time. The 1st pass with the new disk resulted in a lift at about 300 feet because the clutch was so bad. I didn't have the fly wheel resurfaced, wished I had when I saw how bad it worked. Bruce

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bprigge on 12/12/06 9:43pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Take a high speed 3M scuff pad to the flywheel and the pressure plate and toss in a new disc. That allows the disc to make it's own set of rules for engaging and disengaging....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-12-12 07:02, bassman97 wrote:
Don't forget to resurface the pressure plate as well.
I didn't know a pressure plate could be re-surfaced.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You can buy a brush hone similar to what is used on cylinder walls except it's flat on the end and smaller. It's made for resurfacing flywheels, pressure plate, brake disks, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts