Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at using a TKO in the buildup of my LTD and want to know from those of you who have diven one, what they are like, shift feel, reliability and so forth. The car has a FMX at the moment, are the tko's any longer or shorter? Are there any aftermarket shifters available along the lines of some of the T-5 shifters (eg: pro tower pro 5.0). Basically any comments you have would be great.. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have driven the Tremac 3550 which is very similar to the TKO. Have heard others say both the 3550 and the TKO are "notchy" transmissions. I thought it shifted just fine; similar to a T-5. I wouldn't think the stronger gears, syncros, etc. in the TKO should make it shift significantly different than the 3550.

Proper clutch release is critical to good shift quality with any of these manuals, as well as gearbox longevity. I suspect in a lot of these homebuilt, "custom" installs, the clutch linkages, cables, pivot points, master/slave cylinder combos, etc. get altered from stock and do not therefore provide the proper release for the clutch.

Any clutch maker can give you a clearance figure that you should measure between clutch disc/flywheel, etc., with the clutch fully disengaged (like .060"-.070" etc). Set the clutch up to spec., adjust the shifter properly, use the lubricant in the box recommended by the manufacturer, and it should have fine shift quality.

Most of the major shifter manufacturers make units for the 3550/TKO, i.e., Pro 5.0 and others. Usually only about a $10 premium.

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.. Had a quick look at that site and printed the dimensions out. Found some shifter info too. Just got to start saving for it all now.. The mates shifter for the T5 was around $500 by the time he'd paid for the postage (not to metion the sh!tty exchange rate in australia)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow! $500 for a shifter? Good ones, like the Pro 5.0 are available delivered to your door in the continental U.S. for under $200.

I'm ignorant of the exchange rate, but I have to wonder if it would pay you to find a U.S. mail order supplier that would ship to you. Maybe worth inquiring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah $500 for the pro 5.0.. our exchange rate is about 50c to the dollar, so that's the main reason for the price hike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts