Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we took the Gal out for a spring time 3 hour drive. This is the longest drive made since changing the pumpkin out and replacing the rear wheel bearings and seals. When we got back there was fluild dripping from the right rear of the car. Initially I thought it was the seal leaking, but when we pulled the tire we could see the fluid was coming from the hollow cross member.

What we now speculate is this. When we changed the pumpkin we had the rear end on stands so the car was not level, so when we filled it with oil it was really overfull. After driving for hours the oil heated up and expanded forcing the oil out of the overflow hose that connects to the cross member and into the cross member. So, we are thinking that we can either drain some oil from the rear end, or just drive it until the excess oil has been forced out of the overflow.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Makes sense to me. I would level out the car and then pull the fill plug and let all the excess oil drain out. That way you won't have your cross member all covered in oil from it coming out the vent hose.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Makes sense to me. I would level out the car and then pull the fill plug and let all the excess oil drain out. That way you won't have your cross member all covered in oil from it coming out the vent hose.

X 2. Pull fill plug, when it stops coming out the fill plug, the level is perfect, if it don't come out the fill plug, then you have problems.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
How much oil did you put in it?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will pull the fill plug and see if it is still overfull, thanks for the responses. I am curious about FEs comment that if I pull the plug and nothing drains out there could be other issues. What could those be?

I don't recall how much fluid I put in, I do remember that I bought more than the shop manual said I would need and that I used some of that extra.

·
Administrator
21,770 Posts
That it should, more than likely be a little over full and some, even if just a little bit, should drain out is what FE is meaning. If nothing comes out then it's low which means it is leaking somewhere. If you put as much as you said i'm sure some will come out the plug though. Amazing how just a little oil can go for so long and in other scenarios create so much smoke. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply FE. I am hoping it is just an overfill problem, but I will also put the old hand on the diff after driving to see if it is heating up. Everything is working so well on the Gal right now that I really hope there is no problem. I rather spend my time doing new stuff to her and not spend time fixing stuff I have already done.

·
Registered
219 Posts
if the 9inch axle vent is stopped up, it will blow fluid out past the seal and get on your shoes (eventually) on the leaky side.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Opinions Please - UPdate

Finally got the time to pull the fill plug and only a few drops came out and the oil looked as clean as when I put it in. Drove to for about 50 miles in town and on the highway and no more fluid draining. So, I am believing it was simply over filled and now I am good to go.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts