Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to rebuild the front end on a "stock" 64 FB with air, auto & 390 and wanted some opinions on what parts / upgrades you would make for a daily / fair weather driver. I have read about " poly, sway bars, off set shafts, straight shafts, .....'' and so on. I know there are some of you with daily drivers that have been there - done that. I've done the rear already, new springs, shackles, bolts and shocks. That's easy, but there's a whole lot more to the front and some opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I've heard polly squeak but that they are better and longer lasting etc. Since you are doing the whole front end the replacement of the offset shaft would probably be a good idea since you are going to have it all apart anyway. I stuck with rubber myself, it lasted for over 40 yrs and i won't be here that long! I bought the front end kit from PST. I liked the price and no complaints on it. Another upgrade commonly done is a larger sway bar 1" i believe. Like from a wagon. Mine has the offset shaft bars to stop the rotation but those were put on in the '70s so didn't bother with the changing of those, just kept those on there.
I'm not sure if they have poly for all the bushings or not yet.

Welcome - Performance Suspension Technology

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SR64, I knew I would replace the springs and the sway bar, and had been leaning toward rubber because of cost and rubber has been OK for years. I thought if the off set shafts were OK I would re-use them and add the brace, if not then buy the straight shaft assembly. Hadn't thought about increasing the sway bar diameter, but will, it makes sense. Add some new ball joints and she should good for a long time. Thanks again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Rag. At that price it makes sense to just do away with the off sets. I plan on tearing it down next month, and for all the work involved I want to be satisfied with it. I know anything will be an improvement. I'm tired of "squishing" my way down the road. Thanks again

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
I don't know the price but there is a shop in Orange CA that makes the straight shafts also. I can see if i can get his info. He doesn't do internet but i do know him personally. He moved right before i did so the phone number i have isn't good anymore i don't believe. 63ford406 might pop in here with info also. I'll email him and either get the info from him or ask him to reply here. Bill Gerstenberg (probably misspelled) does a lot of the mechanic work on the So-Cal Galaxies cars and babysat mine when it got wrecked.

Bill's auto repair i think was the name of the place. Will get info so you can compare.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
X3 get rid of the off sets. You will be much happier, You might all so think about a rear sway bar, The combo of a larger front sway bar and a rear bar really helps.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'll echo the comments on the rear sway bar. My understanding is you don't want to go to a larger diam front bar without adding a rear bar. There should be no reason to get a new front bar if staying with stock diam., just clean and paint what you have if you only want it to look better.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Bill's Auto Repair, 1523 West Struck, Units J&K, Orange, CA 92867, 714-639-3410. He makes the offset shaft eliminator kits. "Born Again Classics" bought a set of his and then started making them. Go figure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to replace the front sway bar because I assumed it would be like the springs, "tired" since they are the same age. I am 99% sure they have never been replaced. I hadn't thought about adding a rear bar. Some thing else to think about ! Thanks for the name & phone #. Thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts