Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing tri-y headers on my 65 mustang and getting the full exhaust setup at a local shop, I've found that the lowering bracket for the power steering doesn't clear enough. After putting in spacers for it, it still doesn't clear enough to get my lock to lock steering back and its getting dangerously low to keep lowerin get. The lowering is causing a the cylinder is angle way too much. The headers have a 1 inch clearance on the drivers side of the engine bay, but are right against the fender on the passengers side. Either the headers don't fit correctly or theres something odd with my car? My local shop ran through the options of removing the power steering system (but I would still have the passengers side header rubbing, maybe pinching with enough engine movement? and I would like to keep the power steering because its a daily driver), get new headers are hope they fit (but then I would have to get the exhaust redone - waste of money), or just getting shorty headers and get the exhaust redone - waste of money again. I know theres no easy way out of this, what would you guys do. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

-PS-the headers were from CJ Pony Parts and I can't return them. The car is a daily driver with a 289 with future plans of >300hp.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Is the motor in the mounts crooked? How level is the air cleaner? Could you have a broken mount?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
sounds like you are needing an exhaust shop to cut and line up your headers properly.ive found that by getting the headers made to fit properly it can save alot of time and headaches,and it shouldnt cost alot

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Are you using the stock 65' pedistal motor mounts? If so, you could convert from your 3 piece units to the 66' and newer 2 piece units. Supposed to raise the motor about an inch higher than the 65' ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, where would I get the frame checked out and maybe straightened out? I know the car was in a small accident (kissed a curb) and caused some suspension damage. This could possible be the source of my problems. Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts