Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i am doing a lot of research before I make my blower purchase in Feb. I stumbled across this test article on Vortech's site. The test is done by SAE and is very thorough. It puts the Procharger P1SC against a comparable V1 Vortech and it slams the procharger in like every catagory! The p1sc unit was only 59% efficient compared to the vortech's 72%. Also the P1 required 33% more power to spin it. This disappointed me as I had planned on buying a procharger...
It appears that the p1sc and other prochargers are intercooled to push more boost to an engine to produce the same power as say another blower which pushes less boost and is non intercooled. (its like they're compensating for their blowers being non efficient???)
... and we all know the forced induction game is all about efficiency.

Here is the link, click on "head to head showdown" and at the bottom of that page there is a adobe file that you click on. Its long reading but very interesting

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/news/white_papers.html

Let me know what you guys think cuz I am very comfused now on what I want to buy, especially because I would rather have a self contained blower and not have to tap the oil pan.

Chris

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would be VERY skeptical of any test results conducted by a competing manufacturer.
If it was an independant test, I might beleive their results, but not a test they conduct. They WILL NEVER tell you their product is inferior.

All I know for sure is, when I worked at the dyno shop, we had customers make big power with both brands of superchargers.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Most of the guys I know run Prochargers and they make incredible power. The guys that built my motor use Procharger exclusively and I have seen the power the cars that come out of their shop make and it's impressive. I'd like to get the D1SC w/ an intercooler running about 16 pounds of boost for my motor which should be good for about 700 horsepower. Just about right for 10.0 in the 1/4. You cannot go wrong w/ a Procharger and I really wouldn't even consider a Vortech for the fact that you have to tap your oil pan. I do not want any cross contamination of fluids. I want everything self-contained.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 1/4/07 10:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
49 Posts
both procharger and vortech can make some awesome power with the right tune. if you have the oil pan off it is no big deal to weld a 1/2" I.P.S. weld o let and not have to worry about tapping the pan. i've put plenty of miles on my vortech and love it . opinions on this topic are like a-holes everyone has one and they all work

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys and yes i agree to all of it. I noticed that the study was conducted by SAE??? So I thought it wasn't done by Vortech, however, the only place I've seen that test is on the Vortech site.

I had myself set that I was gonna buy a D1SC with intercooler (3 core) and throw a meth kit at it too... this company is the only one with a full kit for my car (1994 stang). I also pondered the idea of maybe gettin a reverse rotation paxton or vortech and getting my own intercooler and fabbing up my own system.. but AGAIN, then im back to tapping the oil pan... and the motor is already in the car! Any reccomendations??? suggestions...

Chris

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Why do you have to tap the oil pan? Couldn't a person simply feed it off the tap for the oil pressure sending unit, and then return through the valve cover?

Also, while that test was most likely done by Vortech, I believe it's findings are perfectly believable. Just because a supercharger is less efficient doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it won't work as well. As with everything else, you have to weigh cost vs. performance vs. your needs to determine what best suits you... you can't base your decision on just performance alone... otherwise we'd all have Dart blocks, CNC'd heads, custom roller cams, ect...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 1/5/07 2:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
On 2007-01-04 11:05, Motorhead wrote:
Why do you have to tap the oil pan? Couldn't a person simply feed it off the tap for the oil pressure sending unit, and then return through the valve cover?
The return flow is by gravity only so it must be lower than the head unit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had been trying to make up my mind on what supercharger to get for the last year. I recently decided on the Vortech V7 YSi with there Renegade mount.

The larger Procharger units have oil lines also, so I asked them why they were not self contained like there smaller ones? They said the higher boost levels would cause them to run too hot. I figured by this, the external oil was better. I was not too keen about knocking a hole in my pan, but it is not that big of a deal.

I have a few things to get completed before I start the install.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I agree that they all will work, some just better than others. And yes I need to find the right one for my needs. I also looked at the YSi, might be too much blower for me, not sure yet. I was hoping for something around 14lbs with a 3 core intercooler and meth... The engine bay is pretty tight in my 94 so if I fab up my own kit, I don't exactly know what all my options are, especially because I would like to mount it on the drivers side, into the cooler and then through the factory hole in the passenger side fender apron, into my TB. Anybody have any suggestions for my choices?? And where to get soem stuff (ex: intercoolers) etc.

motor made 430hp and 460tq at the crank.
Specs are:

347-all forged 9.3CR
Deep pan
TFS trackheat heads and intake
1.6 Rollers
Comp XE274HR 224/232 .555/.565 112*
1 3/4 long tubes
2 1/2 Mandrel w/ flowmaster 40's
70mm TB

*For the blower:
42lb injectors
90mm Lightning mass air
Crane Coil
Meth...and a cooler

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The test says it was conducted by SAE. That is Society of Automotive Engineers. That is about as third party as you can get. Yes, the test results are believable. The self-contained oil feature is not a plus in my opinion. How hot can that oil get before it breaks down? The test showed that it got to 300 degrees F at 40K. I don't like to see oil temps above 250. there are many ways to handle oil return from the turbo. I like to drill and tap the block just above the pan rail. It doesn't get in the way and it is easy to do but I have seen some with a return placed in the fuel pump block-off plate too. It all works and personal preference is the key. A strait vane is never going to be as efficient as the curved vane designs. Oil that circulates through your engine and then into the turbo is going to stay cooler than a dedicated 6 ounces of oil that just sits there surrounded by all that heat. Oil has three jobs - lubricate, clean and cool the parts. If the oil is a reservoir it is just going to get dirtier the longer you run it. Are you going to be changing the oil in it? That self contained unit only lets the oil do one of the three jobs it is supposed to do, lubricate. It can't cool or clean if it doesn't circulate.
Use what you think is best - that is what makes racing.
Paul

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Actually, I believe the test was conducted by Vortec, using an SAE standardized method/test. I read through the whole thing and I didn't see any reference to SAE DOING the test, only that the test was an SAE standard one. However, I still believe the results are at least somewhat accurate, as you said it makes sense that the vortec is more efficient, just look at the design.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hey now... I thought SAE ment "Standard of Automotive Excellence".
Never even heard of Society of Automotive Engineers... Sounds like a Cult to me...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FALCONAROUND on 1/6/07 12:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It is a cult! the society is a secret group with a special secret handshake and special formulas to enter the closed sessions.
OK, no its not but it could be!
Paul

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Holy Crap! I forgot the secret handshake!!!
I wish I was in a club with a secret handshake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts