Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are aome pictures of a mustang my dad is looking at buying maybe. Let me know your honest opnions on it.

The guy is asking $6500 obo.

Its a '67 coupe, with a 289 C4 8". Only mods were a Performer intake and carb. Motor didnt sound funny, but probably needs a rebuild.
Has the turn signal indicators on the hood. Each front seat has 1 tear in it.
It has the factory A/C system. Needs to be recharged though. Also has power steering. Steered kinda sloppy.

It has been undercoated, and I didnt see any rust under the body. The fronts of the doors, however, were rusted. It looks like a small section in the front, I guess because the drains were plugged. The paint looks to be a Macco type job. Is kinda coming off below the gas cap.
The tires are 215/65r15's on what look to be 7" rims. They are less than a year old, and he really hasnt driven it much.
It has a 4-wheel Stainless Steel Brakes disk brake system. There are massive sway bars on the front and rear w/ poly bushings.

Does it look good? What is a fair price for it?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I think it looks great. It looks like most of the chrome and small parts are there, and the AC is very nice to have. Seats only cost $100 so that's not a big deal. I paid $3000 for mine and it didn't have AC, disc brakes, nice rims/tires, and really needed a rebuild. I would offer $5800 and see what he does.

·
Registered
389 Posts
For some reason the pics aren't working on my puter, but I just had my front seats redone and they were $800 bucks to get them refoamed and reupholstered (Canadian)they turned out great, but ouch, also the A/C is going to be between $500 to $1000 to get that fixed, at least that is what they told me when I was going to get it done in my Taurus... I would seriously think about taking it somewhere and putting on a hoist first!!! Check out that rust and poke around the bottom of the car. I would say it is a little steep if it is in American funds. I have power steering and love it, but just drum brakes which suck!! (that is another 700 dollar bill)
Just my 2 cents, would love to see pics. I will check back later.

·
Registered
100 Posts
$6500 is almost top dollar, for that money it shouldn't need an engine rebuild and seats done.

Seat upholstery and for that matter the whole interior is pretty minor compared to getting a good solid body. I prefer the car to have old paint so i can see imperfections easier. Doors are no biggie to fix, but the torque boxes and front frame rails and cowl are more major... if the car needs all that it's best to be starting with cheap project car instead of re-doing stuff.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The underbody is totaly solid. The only rust was in the doors.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Looks like a nice car, nicely optioned with air, console, GT hood ,4 wheel discs and nice rims.If it truely only has a little rust in the front of the doors it should easily be worth $6000 at least up here in the great white north.
Sounds like it was set up for a little canyon carving with the brakes and swaybars and ya gotta love that arrest me red paintjob.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 2/28/02 8:01am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 2/28/02 8:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and he mentioned something about a "Sport Sprint" air cleaner that he took off? Not sure if that matters.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Bottom line, Walt: How does it drive and run? Disc brakes are great, but do they stop the car ok? Does it miss, does it smoke, does it rattle or knock? I personally love the 67-68 coupes. With good wheels and tires they look great to me. Do the old magnet test and make the guy let you get it on a rack to check the underside. Find out how long he's had it for sale. My top dollar from what you've described is $5000.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The thing that worries me is the undercoating....is it fresh? Usually sign of patch job or undercarriage damage. But, if its a project vehicle, it looks 99% there so have a ball.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Check the reasons for undercoating throughly. Take a look at the inside of the cowl areas. You may have to get at a sharp angle and use a good flashlight. See if they will let you run a hose over the cowl to check for leaks. Bad news if they do. Check the trunk out, look down the rear quarter panels. Do not be afraid to take good hard looks and ask the tough questions.
There are so many places that these cars rust. Trust me... I know!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts