Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking like mad on this forum and have found it to be an incredible resource, thank you to all of you who have posted technical info.

I am currently rebuilding a case fill C4 from a '67 Mustang (I think) to put in my '67 Galaxy. I am stuck on two counts:

1. I can't find anything to compress the clutch spring so I can get the snap ring on. The Haynes manual shows a couple of C-clamps but none of the 10 clamps I own worked for me. Is there an easy way to do this outside of the $180 spring compressors I've seen online?

2. I have replaced all of the bushings except the one in the pump using care and sockets. Would it be easier for me to take this to a transmission shop and have them press it in?

That said, should I just take these parts to a shop? Does anybody know of a good transmission shop in the OC where I could get these two items taken care of or could any shop do it for me?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I'm clearly not being inventive enough here. I like the spring compressor idea, I think I might be able to use a brake piston compressor for that with some modifications. I don't have a drill press or a shop mate and the main problem with putting that bushing in is that it's about more than 1.5" in diameter and you need something nearly the exact OD and I don't have a lathe to turn some aluminum down to the right size.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A drill press will work in a pinch.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.