Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Galaxie LTD, 1966 Fairlane, 1967 Cougar
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing the normal detective work on my 65 Galaxie LTD, I found the long build sheet in the usual spot under the driver side front bench seat under the springs. It was pretty far gone and doesn't offer much readable information. However, Behind the rear seat spring, tucked right in the middle I found the Ford AAD-8502-P Rev. 7-64 short sheet in great condition.
All the information that I can actually decode matches as expected for the originality of the car, however, there's a few lines I can't find a reference for...
TYPE ORDER: 1
CAR LINE: M (Isn't M for Mercury? I would have expected this to be A)
TIRES: size V, type 1
OPTION SEATS: 2 (This may be for the 6-way power seats?)
SP CTRL SPOT: 1 (maybe this is the cruise control?)
RADIO/RR SPKR/ RR ANT: M (This car has the antenna mounted on the right rear, may have been included with the AM/FM radio it has)
WHL CVR: 1 (This one I'm very curious about, as it current has dog dish covers which I understand weren't even standard on the LTD)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome find! I have the one from my ‘65 Mercury Monterey. The car line says “J” for that. Info on these is spotty, but there’s a little bit on the web about them. Unfortunately both of my ‘65 Galaxies seem to be missing theirs...I have heard that the line workers didn’t always put them in the car and didn’t always put them in the same spot, so maybe someday when I dig deep enough, one will turn up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I see that our wheel cover fields both have a 1. My Mercury has standard hub caps. I believe there was an optional deluxe cover, and then maybe a wire spoke as well as a Mercury dogdish. I have the options booklet somewhere. I think 1 was probably the standard option, or the basic 4-spoke '65 Galaxie hub cap in your case. I would think the dog-dish would be a different number, probably those were swapped by a previous owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dog dish covers are the one thing that I think must have been changed on my LTD. For being the highest trim level with so many options and how nice it was kept, it's confusing to me that it would have the cheapest covers.
Everywhere I've looked the dog dish covers weren't even an option, must have been a cheap replacement for when the originals fell off at some point.
What do you think about the "type order"? I'm guessing 1 is just a generic customer order or dealer order.
I've found sheets under the carpets before, and tucked up around the glovebox or radio.
Nice car too, I love me some Mercury versions of Ford products.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Seems like the cars with dog dish covers I’ve seen were either very low option cars or for some reason the high-performance ones. I guess it gives a more “muscular” look. I do like the looks of them, actually. I’ve even considered going with them on my ‘65 convertible (tropical turquoise), just for a little pizzaz. Saw this pic of a hardtop and thought it looked cool with the matching wheels. (My ‘57 thunderbird came from the factory with that combo)...cool with blackwalls

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the look, I'm definitely going to keep them once I freshen them up.
Do you know of a good way to repaint the black recessed portion? I'm guessing I could just do the whole face black and then carefully polish it to remove the paint from the raised surfaces.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Striping tape is your best bet on those. They make 1/8” and 1/16”. Gives you nice clean lines.
Obviously not the same style, but same idea...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that sure looks good, guess I'm going with striping tape. Looks like a matte black? I'm tempted to try gloss/semi-gloss enamel to match the black body paint, not sure if this would look silly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I actually used Eastwood chassis black, which is a semi-gloss/satin for those. Sprayed it with an airbrush. The tape was 1/16” striping tape from TPS Global via Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Back before mag type wheels theft was a problem with wheel covers. Your LTD covers may have been stolen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts