Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for what my 1964 Galaxie 500 4dr hardtop, 352(5.8L) would have as the original tire size in todays measurements? 75 or 80 x 14's is all the books say, but would they be a 195 or a higher tire type?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Looking for what my 1964 Galaxie 500 4dr hardtop, 352(5.8L) would have as the original tire size in todays measurements?
Hey Mark,
Ms. American 3.14159 is a 1964 Galaxie 500 Four-Door, Hard-Top.

Just went out and checked the numbers on her tires: 215/75/R15

Don't know what wheels you may have. Ms. American has KelseyHayes 15" Severe Service Wheels.

JC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Mark,
Ms. American 3.14159 is a 1964 Galaxie 500 Four-Door, Hard-Top.

Just went out and checked the numbers on her tires: 215/75/R15

Don't know what wheels you may have. Ms. American has KelseyHayes 15" Severe Service Wheels.

JC
Thanks JC, it gives me an option I have thought about. The original wheels are 14 inch rims, and I have thought of moving to 15 inch which was the XL tire sizes, but then my speedometer would need to be recalibrated.
Mark

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am almost sure that the modern size is the 205/75R14 for the stock size '64 Galaxie tires. That is the size that I run on my car. Thinking that the original size was a F78-14 or close to that size. Hope this helps.

PS- the 15" rims were on option and not a XL trim thing. Standard XL rims would have been the 14" size.

·
Registered
126 Posts
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/564593-correct-oem-stock-tire-size-1964-a.html

My late '63 runs 215x75x14 without any problem; the velocity of the car is a good 10% more than indicated on the speedometer.

205x75x14 should fit assuming you have original rims with the right backspace; your speedometer will be close. Several tire sites online will give you approximate diameters of equivalents to 'F' or 'G' 78s.

I don't remember the size but one time in the 70s my dad bought some tires on that car which were lower profile and wider but the fronts rubbed against the upper control arms; we replaced them before blowing up; i.e., trust and verify fitment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am almost sure that the modern size is the 205/75R14 for the stock size '64 Galaxie tires. That is the size that I run on my car. Thinking that the original size was a F78-14 or close to that size. Hope this helps.

PS- the 15" rims were on option and not a XL trim thing. Standard XL rims would have been the 14" size.

When I pulled my 64 xl out of the garage that I found it in. the car was sitting since 92 had factory 14's and had sears brand really old bias F78'S on it my spare is a F78 but it's so old I don't trust it so I'm going to get a better spare in a 15 I really think I'm going to regret it if I don't buy a spare that is the same as the other 4 American racing S200's they are hard to find with out custom order so if I bent one at least my spare would be the same.

going to 15 is becoming less expensive then trying to keep with 14's it really sucks but as long as I don't have to go to 20's I'm good. not saying they don't look good on the galaxie just not my cup of tea since I'm from the old school.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 63 wagon had 215/75R14's on it when I bought it. They are supposed to be 26.7" tall, but I haven't measured them. I think those are pretty close to stock size. I know our cars are different, but I can scrounge up a picture if you need a visual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.