Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my wife's Mach1 I got for her as a 25th wedding anniversary present,we are coming up on our 30th and she will finally get to drive it. It's a H-code 351 with performer intake, road demon 625 cab,shaker assembly, FPA hedders, MSD 6A box with a stock dizzy converted to a magnetic pickup, Griffin radiator with dual electric fans, Dominator Jr AOD trans with 2500 stall convertor, Strange engineering posi center section with 3:50 gears, 4 wheel SSBC brakes, Painless wiring through out car with H4 headlight conversion and a JME white face gauge package with white faced clock and a 200w stereo setup. Suspension is all new with 7/8" rear swaybar & 1 1/8" front swaybar KYB shocks also frame connectors. The dual exhaust is 3" with H pipe and dual 44 flowmasters. I was given instructions by her that I could modify as much as I want as long as I could keep it stock looking and the gauges are about the only thing that stands out. We have a couple issues to fix within the next couple weeks then she will be on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Beautiful! I love the '70 fastbacks. Thanks for not dorking it up with 17 or 18 inch "rims". :)

Great looking car. I bet it will run great too.

paulie

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful! I love the '70 fastbacks. Thanks for not dorking it up with 17 or 18 inch "rims". :)

Great looking car. I bet it will run great too.

paulie
Thanks, We had thought about 17" magnums but it rides rough enough now, we are going to up the 14's to 15" magnums later on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
nice I had a 70 fastback but had to sell it when I had my restoration biz to help things keep going. now I got a bunch of torino's but Mustangs are easier to get parts for so I do miss that.70 FB stang is my favorite year of them all.
Congrats and enjoy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice I had a 70 fastback but had to sell it when I had my restoration biz to help things keep going. now I got a bunch of torino's but Mustangs are easier to get parts for so I do miss that.70 FB stang is my favorite year of them all.
Congrats and enjoy
Thanks for the kind words, I had a 70 Torino with a 302 auto with a/c it was gold with a black vinyl top. It was a beauty, not fast but a cool family car and I wish now I still had it along with 30 other cars.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I notice in your sig that your trans is an AOD what did you do for the overdrive to work.I really want to put one behind my cleveland that is going in the 73 GTS instead of getting a C6. it would make it so much more streetable with AOD but hear there is issues with kickdowns and such and how does the overdrive turn on and off

·
Registered
151 Posts
A mechanical AOD just works off of pressure and RPM. Nothing really electronic about it. The kick down isn't a large deal to mess with, long as you have a good transmission man to call when your stumped.

Nice fastback, great looking cars. I love mine. Just wish it didn't break so much. lol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I notice in your sig that your trans is an AOD what did you do for the overdrive to work.I really want to put one behind my cleveland that is going in the 73 GTS instead of getting a C6. it would make it so much more streetable with AOD but hear there is issues with kickdowns and such and how does the overdrive turn on and off

70Mach is correct, your TV cable works the kickdown of the trans, I had never done this before either so I asked many questions online including here before attempting the swap. You can either get a used trans from your local pick & pull from a late 80's to early 90's mustang and have it rebuilt or buy new online like I did with beefed up internals to handle more HP because the AOD was not produced as a performance trans and had many issues when guys beat on them. All the other stuff needed can be purchased online. I got my cross member, flywheel, block plate, trans mount, TV cable and floor shifter linkage from Ron Morris Performance then I used a 95 Explorer mini starter from PAperformance and had my driveshaft shortened by a local shop which also supplied a new trans yoke. TIP: If ordering new (rebuilt) get it when you are ready to install it, I ordered mine way too early and the warrenty is only 6 months and I have a issue with OD not kicking in, PATC says it's a simple fix by a reputable trans shop which they say is a stuck servo or a stuck valve in valve body so I have to pay to get it fixed otherwise the trans works fine, once this issue is fixed we will be very happy with the swap. Good Luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after 5 years we took the Mach1 to it's first cruise yesterday. It was in Jesse James home town of Kearney, Mo. I'll post 1 pic of me and the wife so you have a face to match to the username. I'm the tall goofy one on the left. There's still work to be done but it's almost there and we got alot of nice positive comments. Car ran great and even though it was 93 and humid as hell the temp stayed at 185-190 so now i'm working on the leaking a/c issue. Also here is a link to the rest of the car cruise pics.

Kearney Car Cruise July 2010 pictures by leadfoot55 - Photobucket

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
nice job man! It brings so much satisfaction going to that first cruise after trying to get her back on the road....I am sure your wife is happy about it too? keep up the good work and keep cruisin

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice job man! It brings so much satisfaction going to that first cruise after trying to get her back on the road....I am sure your wife is happy about it too? keep up the good work and keep cruisin
Thanks for the kind words and yes the wife is very happy. Still bugs to work out but plenty of time next winter to work them out. Have a good one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got the movie maker in windows 7 figured out so here is a video of us cruising the Mach1 home from it's first car show in 5 years. All the background noise is wind because A/C quit already ( slow leak ) and whining from locked rearend, hopefully when I change fluid at 500 miles it will quieten down some.

YouTube - 70 Mach1's First Cruise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts