Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I love those econoline trucks, just makes my day when I see one tooling around. I'd bet it feels a little weird steering from straight above the front wheels, huh?

·
Registered
629 Posts
HAH! I almost forgot about those trucks. My Dad had one when I was little, I used to actually have to sit on the engine compartment whenever we all went anywhere, really cool as a kid, now I know just how unsafe it was
. I still remember the day the radiator hose blew, boy was that fun in the cab
. Thanks for posting the pics and helping me remember another fun time.
Oh yeah, before I forget, wasn't that the same line up that Dodge shared a bodystyle with? I seem to recall seeing what I thought to be Ford trucks, but they were adorned with Dodge emblems. Did the two share the trucks, or was it just a design coincidence?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: humphrey351 on 11/8/03 1:42pm ]</font>

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your replies! I cant remember which one came first but I think they were just design coincedenses there is slight differences in the 2 trucks but they are still pretty much the same. Now Mercury did make some of them but all of them were Ford trucks. They just slapped some Mercury emblems on them and shipped most of them to Canada. U remember the Little Red Wagon wheel stander. That one was a Dodge. The one called Backup Pickup was the Ford Ecocnoline that went down the track backwards.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Those econolines were cooler'n hell. Pretty much all of them came with 200 cubed inline sixes, didn't they? (I mean before everyone swapped in 302's).

About 10 years ago, I really thrashed my back on one of those. Someone brought it into the dealership for a tuneup. (yeah, tuneup).......anyway, plugs I don't think had EVER been out of it..........Whilst removing one of the back ones, (with plenty of extensions, etc,) I twisted when it came loose and dropped to the knees................NO more workie that day.........Was laid up for a couple days with major back outage...........

(last fond memory of an econoline)........

And as far as the 'backup pickup', I wonder if it was more aerodynamic running backwards........((like the pinto)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts