Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this memo from SEMA-

The California Air Resources Board has drafted a state implementation plan that would seek to expand the state’s Smog Check Program. The draft plan calls for such measures as yearly testing of older and/or high mileage vehicles, more stringent cutpoints for retests, inspection of smoking vehicles and increased enforcement for both in-use vehicles and smog check stations. Other options such as remote sensing, continuous OBD II monitoring (i.e., "OBD III&quot
and even testing of 1966-1975 model year vehicles are contemplated in the draft plan. The plan would also regulate motorcycles for the first time.

Unbelievable. Dealing with this nonsense every few years
is really getting old

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I saw this coming. Every year they have required a "Test only" smog test for my old bronco...at $60 - $70 a pop. A regular test is only $40 sometimes less if you catch them on sale.

The point that makes this retroactive smog requirement so stupid is it’s only based on year of car, assumed mileage. No regard to meticulous maintenance, replacement motors, rebuilds or actual mileage) or actual usage. They'll say it’s too difficult to actually monitor all the variables, yet they have no problem mandating that you pay another hidden tax to keep your car on the road .

Yet there are still oil fired commercial plants that do not have to retro fit to the air quality standard - they "bought" smog credits. How nice they leave a few loop holes, for those with strings to pull and deep pockets. Remember Children, we are all equal in the eyes of the law. Aahhh, I mean - most of the time Sleep tight, secure in the knowledge that you too can grow up to be President.

My latest crackpot, conspiracy theory
revolves around embedded electronics; have checked your OBD unit lately? Old cars don’t have them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 10/19/06 10:26pm ]</font>

·
Registered
813 Posts
Its Kaliphornya's plan to get rid of ALL old vehicles eventually. By taxing them to death, or making the smog regulations so stringent that people will give up on trying to register them for use on the roads.
Its all about money. Kaliphornya is the most greedy state in the nation when it comes to money.
My 1984 model year Ford truck keeps going up in registration fees every year, not down!!
You'd think that as the vehicles get older, the fees would come down, but not in my case, they keep going up.
The tree huggers, liberals, lawmakers, DMV, courts, unions, and insurance companies are putting the squeeze on everyone, and this is just one of many ways to do it.
I am getting out of this s**thole next year.......going to the REAL America......F**K Mexico!! you can keep it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been in SoCal since the 80's and the registrations on both my '66 and '68 were at one time dropping in terms of fee amount, but they have been rising for the last several years. They're also fond of the "test only" style smog check. They like to hit one of our other cars every year with that requirement and both cars that my adult kids own gets that treatment- every year.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sucks to be you guys...and yes, I'd agree with the black box chip thing.
Is it any wonder why I love my Torino and my '79 4x4 f150 over my explorer or contour??
I hate new cars.
I feel for you over the smog BS...out in cali you guys got a bunch of freaks and activists that don't know and don't care. Any old car is plain evil in their minds...yet I see newer crap polluting worse than most old stuff. Hope SEMA slaps them into reality again.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
In Clark County Nevada we still have to "Smog" all vehicles 1968 and newer.

Registration for all mine are $49.00 each including the "special plate fee" ...

But as far as the year of vehicles being exemt from testing ... owners in CA has been in better shape than us in Clark County for quite a while.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 10/20/06 4:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On 2006-10-18 22:36, Beoweolf wrote:
I saw this coming. Every year they have required a "Test only" smog test for my old bronco...at $60 - $70 a pop. A regular test is only $40 sometimes less if you catch them on sale.
Mind enlightening me on the difference between a regular smog test and a "Test Only"? Here in Ohio where just a few heavily populated counties even have smog testing (of which mine is not one), none of this makes a darn bit of sense to me. I also don't understand the varying cost to register a vehicle and how Kalifornia decides the amount?

The plates for my '88 MK VII LSC driver cost about $40. My F-150's are about $55-60. Truck plates have always been a few bucks higher than car tags here. These monies include several fees that counties and cities are allowed to tack onto the basic state fee "ostensibily' to maintain the roads. My 3 cars that are over 25 years old have "Historic" tags. These cost a one time fee of $20 per car and don't have to be renewed until 2050. I've never seen a cop EVER pull a car over for smoking excessively and we have some real junkers running the roads here.

With this BS , a VERY high cost of living and the general crap that the state puts y'all through, I have no conception of why anyone would want to live in Kalifornia. Having endless sunshine and warm temps yeararound can't be worth THAT much...

Jan

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right outta the book-

What is a Test-Only? Test-Only facilities are licensed Smog Check stations that, by law, are only allowed to test cars; they cannot repair them. Any needed repairs must be performed elsewhere at either a Smog Check station designated as a Test-Repair or Gold Shield station.

High Emitter Profile - The majority of vehicles directed to Test-Only stations are selected by application of the High Emitter Profile (HEP), which identifies the vehicles most likely to fail their Smog Checks. The High Emitter Profile (HEP) uses data from several different sources. Some of it comes from the state Vehicle Identification Database (VID), which collects data from each Smog Check performed in California. The VID is used by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), BAR, and other government agencies. In addition, general vehicle data such as make, model-year, vehicle miles traveled, and engine size help define the HEP.

This information is used to determine which vehicles are most likely to fail their Smog Checks, especially at Gross Polluter levels--at least two times the emissions level allowed for a particular vehicle. No single factor identifies a vehicle for a Smog Check to be done at a Test-Only station. The data is weighted and vehicles selected using this computer profiling of vehicles most likely to fail their Smog Check. DCA/BAR has gradually increased the number of vehicles directed to Test-Only stations to meet the air quality improvement goals of the State Implementation Plan (SIP). The SIP is a blueprint outlining the methods California will use to meet federal air quality standards.

Two Percent Randomly Selected - As required by State law, two percent of the vehicles in the Enhanced Areas are also directed to Test-Only stations for their Smog Checks. These vehicles are selected randomly to evaluate the overall effectiveness of the Smog Check Program.

And there you have it

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ya it's a bunch of crap I know for a fact they can moniter all activity of a new vehicle. My buddy has a 05 chevy crew cab and he got a letter in the mail just about a week ago that stated "We see that your vehicle reached 19,622 miles on 10/02/2006 it is getting close to a factory recommended 20,000 mile inspection please call your dealer and schedule an appointment" now it that isn't the biggest bunch of crap I ever saw. They are obviously monitoring the thing the numbers were right on the mark. Wonder how many people get screwed on warranty because they "abused" their new cars?

·
Registered
991 Posts
couldnt give me your cars and pay me to live in california. Im good right here in the midwest.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Thanks for the explanation GT289...
I don't have the remotest understanding of why a "Test Only" vehicle couldn't be inspected at a regular smog station where any problems might be able to be fixed. But I'm guessing that your state government...more money for a Test Only and the emission parts peddlers just *possibly* could be in collusion. Now to figure ourt how California can charge one years worth of back registration fees for a project car that hasn't been tagged or driven for eons without a Non-Op permit. I've read of this too and it seems insane to me.

Jan

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My daughter's got 3 vehicles. Last year all three popped up on the "test
only" list. It's all about money and keeping the state coffers filled up.
And you should see the list of stuff we can't do here..... including the
restrictions on buying a brand new car in another state and immediately
trying to bring it into CA.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Two Percent Randomly Selected - As required by State law, two percent of the vehicles in the Enhanced Areas are also directed to Test-Only stations for their Smog Checks. These vehicles are selected randomly to evaluate the overall effectiveness of the Smog Check Program.
I could and have learned to live with the "rules'...what frosts my hide is when that "random" is every year.

Its like having a pissed off cop following you around town. He knows you haven't done anything wrong yet, but he keeps slow trailing you, waiting for something, anything he can pull you over for.

Now it ain't all spinich, theres some gravy in it too. They'll pay up to $500 to have your car repaired, if it fails at the "test only" station. There are a few things wrong with this "free" money. Ist you are encouraging the low lifes to "find" something wrong, just to collect the money. 2nd, it starts a self fufilling cycle, every time a scam artist collects his gift money, it automatically puts another check mark against every other car of the same brand, engine and model; that justifies (in their pea-brains) making all the other owners take their car to the expensive "Test-only" station. Kinda' like giving a snitch a free pass if he tells you something you want to hear against someone you have already decided is getting away with something. If you can't prove it, just pay some crook to break the law, and use that as "proof" that some legally inoccent guy did something wrong. After all you have the word of a criminal that he saw a criminal do a crime - plus, he gets paid for his trouble.

Huuum,...that can't be right, can it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 10/21/06 11:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I am a Christian. I am a police officer. I look at large smoke plumes coming from the steel mills around where I live. Its because of those mills that we in this area alone have to have our cars smogged. 1976 to present. Only our area. SO> when I find a way to circumvent these rules, I do. Plain and simple that. It's a farce. It's a money maker. It's not set up to help the environment. Semi trucks are hands down the biggest poluters on the road. I've said enough.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
SEMA argues that old cars are not the problem anyway, too few of them and they are driving too few miles. How many of you lay out 30,ooo miles a year on your old car? I have read that a newer car that is not running well is the bigger smog problem.

You guys forgot to throw in the car crusher program in CA. The one that is sponsered by the oil companys. They buy old cars from the public and crush them. For every car they crush they get credits, the credits are used to allow more pollution to be emmited from their refining of oil. Anybody willing to take $700 for their classic?

Also, the whole smog check system is linked up online. If you fail at one place then its logged in and you are forced to go to a smog repair station. Dont bother going home and doing a tune up and try to back to the test only. DMV gets a notice as well.

Last thing. Miss your renewal and be ready for somme crazy fees. I draggged out 67 Mustang hidden in a corner and unregistered for 7 years and had to pay $500 to register it a while back. Its ok though, if you tow a car like that back to your average priced LA county home you paid $550,000 for that so another $500 aint gonna kill ya.....

Only here till I can escape unharmed.........

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On 2006-10-24 21:46, karguy1 wrote:
SEMA argues that old cars are not the problem anyway, too few of them and they are driving too few miles.
That's what really gets me. I work for a major OE brake
manufacturer and I'm on the road ALL the time. Used to be
back about 5 years ago and longer, you'd see all kinds of
vintage iron roaming the streets and interstates. But not any
more. If I see 1 or 2 pre-76 cars a day, that's a lot.
The vintage cars aren't the problem, they're just an easy
target

1 - 20 of 23 Posts