Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK we put in a 302 in my 78 Ghia coupe. Runs great while going down the road...about 190-200 degrees, but when I'm idling for a few mins temp starts to go up. I changed the waterpump and thermo. Also I have headman headers on...was thinking about getting the hookers that have the coating...would that Make a difference? The rad is part 514 and 3 core using the mechanical fan. Not sure what kinda of aftermarket electric fan would fit or take care of the problem. Please help. This is not a stock 302...was just gonna put the reg manifolds back on if all else fails. Maybe I can find something at Carlisle this week end. I usually run my car in the parade on Memorial day and today it over heated and I had to retire to a safe spot early....any advice and help is greatful...thanks!!

YO STEVE

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
The headers would make a slight difference but what you really need is a better fan. I have a SPAL electric fan on my car and it workd great, never gets hot. You can get them through mustangs plus and they are pretty easy to mount.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
if you dont have a shroud, your not getting good airflow. Add an electric or two, or find a shroud, and Im sure all your issues will be rectified.

·
Registered
352 Posts
as already been said if you havnt got a shroud already get one, it made a huge difference for me, my guage read 3/4 before putting on the shroud it read 1/4 on the guage after

and on a separate occasion a new radiator cap fixed my overheating problem, might want to try that, its cheap

·
Registered
293 Posts
I take it its a new motor? I fought a overheating issue for a few years (didnt drive the car much in the summer). Tried everything else, and it ended up..hate to admit it, but I had one head gasket on backwards. Now even in the 110 degree summer weather it runs cool.
Just a thought
Tracy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine is a 79 302 and was torn down and rebuilt. I'm gonna try getting a different rad cap and just look for another fan or electric fan in Carlisle this week end. Thanks for ur input guys!!

YoSteve

·
Registered
431 Posts
If I remember right, each pound of pressure on the radiator cap that you add will cool the engine temperature 7 degrees. If the timing is off, it will add to your heating problem as well.

·
Registered
729 Posts
A higher lb. cap will only keep the liquid from boiling as soon as it would with a lower lb. cap. The heating problem will still be there.
A proper shroud and fan is a huge deal when it comes to a stable cooling system.
The geometry of the fan and shroud should be set right also.
No more than 1/2" max clearance between the fan tips and shroud and the fan should be inside the shroud with between 1/4" to 1/2" of the blades hanging out of the shroud.
I got my $5.00 shroud from an 84 S10 Blazer with a V6. Fits well with a just little trimming around the hose areas.
Also the radiator needs to be very clean. My 500hp 408 runs at a steady 200 dg without the electric fan and 180-190 with the electric fan in 80+ dg weather.
The electric fan is a 1400 cfm pusher fan from Summit Racing mounted between the grill and radiator.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I changed the water pump pulley to a smaller one and it runs a lot cooler...turns out when we bult the engine we used a bigger pulley than called for...thanks everyone...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts