Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to adjust rockers I over torqued
and stripped a nut on a 289 engine now I can't get the nut to come off or tighten, are
there any tips or tricks I could try to fix this problem or will this require a machine
shop?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Are they press-in or screw-in studs?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
You busted a nut!
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'd take a flat pry bar/nail puller/whatever(I call them super-bars) and slip the v groove in up under the nut and put pressure on it as you take your ratchet and back the nut off. If there's any threads left it will grab and come off. If not, pry for a while then turn the nut 1/4 of a turn and pry some more. It will eventually come off.
You could also take a 1/8" dremel tool and cutoff wheel and split the nut, then pry it off. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the humor, just what I needed after the day I just had. I will try your suggestion tomorrow
thanks again. feeling better

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, prigrim looks like you knew what you were talking about. I tried the old crow bar
trick with a light electric impact drill and she came off after a couple of tries. I will have to replace the stud but that was'nt so
bad. thanks for the feed back. I still need to learn more about adjusting the rockers but that what makes this hobby worth doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts