Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was charging the battery on my '63 Galaxie I noticed the coil was very hot, so I disconnected the battery cable and one of the wires on the coil and it finally cooled off. What would cause the coil get this hot?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
When I was charging the battery on my '63 Galaxie I noticed the coil was very hot, so I disconnected the battery cable and one of the wires on the coil and it finally cooled off. What would cause the coil get this hot?
Did you have ignition on and do you have points in the distributor?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
cure for old steel jacket coils getting hot ... don't start the engine. if you didnt have the motor running and tried to start with a low battery... soliniod could be stuck on and feeding full 12v to coil .

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
If your key was not in RUN, you can have a switch failure, alternator/regulator issue, or wiring snafu to get back-feed to the coil.

David

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
If your key was not in RUN, you can have a switch failure, alternator/regulator issue, or wiring snafu to get back-feed to the coil.

David
switch failure , yes . alt/reg. by themself ;no , either/both would need another item to also fail

1 - 11 of 11 Posts