Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
351 clevo "fresh build" New waterpump, correct thermostat, aluminum radiator, pulled heads and installed gaskets correct way, no air, engine flushed, good circulation, ignition 10 advanced... still it only takes it 5 minutes to creep up to 210 and it seems to stay there no matter if im driving or idling. verified correct temp reading.cool temperature outside.

This temp is obviously caused by something but I cant get my head to figure it out, newbie as I am:) almost ready to set the whole thing on fire and then smash it with the tractor before dumping it in the north sea :rolleyes:

BTW when it gets hot fuel isnt filling the fuel filter anymore, it does cold.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,369 Posts
I have seen where radiators are in fact too thick to pass air through.
First determine if there us air flow through it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Restrictor plate is in place. flex a lite fan pulling masses of air through the radiator. I think its weird that its steady at 205-210. It doesnt get any hotter even if Its just idling. Checked the thermostat, it opens at 180.
Do you think the radiator is crap? Looks to flow plenty of air. Just hope its not a thin cyl. wall issue. I know theres new pistons in it, but the seller never mentioned a overbore.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
205 doesn't seem to be what I would call "overheating." Is the radiator boiling over? Is coolant going into the overflow or on to the ground? You could just have a faulty reading. Most new Vettes are aluminum motors run 220+ on a hot day all day long. I have seen my share of cooling problems with the different motors I have had in the 68' and my current "problem" appears to only be the gauge. I am replacing it with a mechanical one today. When I shot a temp gun on all parts of the engine nothing was over 175 when the gauge was reading 240...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked it with a temp gun, the gauge is spot on. No boiling but I still would prefer the engine to run at 180 like it should. Havent seen much warm weather yet so I dont know what happens on a hot day. Could Transmission temperature affect water temp much?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts