Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 62 ranchero straight six has has overheating problems since buying it a few weeks ago. The radiator was flushed and overflow added. What happens is when it's driven for over 30 minutes the radiator backs up into the overflow, and it has come to the point where the overflow is overflowing. Does the 62 have an thermostat that I can remove if it's sticking? Otherwise what's happening here? Thanks all.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Hey Jac. Reasonably reliable remote diagnosis is difficult, so some starter questions for you -

1. Are the belt(s) properly tensioned?
  2. Was the whole system flushed or just the radiator?
  3. A professional flush with nasty chemicals or a canned flush?
  4. Have you tested for exhaust gasses in the coolant?
  5. What kind of driving for 30 minutes (idling/local/highway/etc.)?
  6. Do you have an accurate temp gauge in the system?
  7. When it cools-down, does the overflow return to the radiator?
  8. Have you tested the thermostat?
David

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
BTW - your thermostat lists as a 160°F originally (superseded Ford number is D5PZ-8575-A), and is available with gasket at any parts store for about $10 for a good quality unit. If you're not sure of it's history, just replace it.

David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently replaced the generator which involved the belt, I know it's not as tight but it had done this before as well. Not sure which type of flush but I was told is was a whole system flush engine and radiator. Haven't tested for exhaust gasses in the coolant not sure how. Its done it with both highway driving and at idle but idle is much worse. I would like to simply remove the the thermostat all together and I believe the temp gauge is accurate. The coolant does return as well. Can I remove the thermostat and run it like that? It might also have some bluish smoke when I really get on but the car hasn't been run much in years and I also installed new exhaust don't know if this is related.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Over heating that fast and pushing lots of water indicates a bad stat or cracked head or bad head gasket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts