Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a quick two mile trip my temp shows about 190 degrees which i dont think is bad at all on an 88 degree day but it keeps spitting antifreeze out, and i dont mean just a little if it gets over 190 it pukes it like its been overheated for an hour, i have a griffin aluminum radiator and 2 puller fans, ive talked to other people and everyone says this enough to cool my combo that has something similar, so if anyone has any ideas let me know, ideally id like to keep the temp at 180 so maybe add some water wetter or colling additive? thanks

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
two things;
1: check the rad cap for its ability to hold pressure.
2: check to see if you have a blown heaad gasket. sometimes a blown gasket with a hearty cooling system wont overheat, but will build too much pressure and blow coolant out the overflow.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try a water wetter cut the antifreeze to 20/15 %; sounds like a foaming problem the wetter lets the water get rite next to the iron by breaking the surface tension ,vibrations in the head and combustion chamber cause the coolant to foam and it looses most of it's cooling ability

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm kind of with foxfire and kind of not. I agree the first place to look is at the water mix - but I'd just make sure you're not just running really hard water (like, you can't see through your clear shower curtain but you still filled your block with your garden hose) especially w/o enough antifreeze. But then, and pretty much at the same time really, I'd eliminate basic physics (THE CAP, gaskets, and even a faulty gauge or bad sending unit (ie, you're running hot but your gauge isn't telling you so). Then I'd try water wetter - but, if you're running at 180* I don't really think your problem is with conduction - just boiling points.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 69convert on 8/21/03 10:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have completely QUIT use TAP water in any Engines Last time cost me$230 for a new rad I have started using Distilled H20 even for top offs/ Its really cheap here.58 a gallon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts