Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The control valve has been removed from the car, disassebled and now I try to rebuid it with a rebuild kit included a new ball stud socket

The problem is:

When I rotate the travel regulator into the ball stud socket, after the ball stud socket with seats , spring and bumper has been entered to the sleeve, it looks like the ball stud socket expands against the walls in the sleeve so it cant travel freely in the sleeve. The travel regulator has to be rotated even more to reach the two slots in the ballstud socket, then it will almost be stucked in the sleeve, I asume.

Someone has experience about this?

I wonder if I do something wrong. I shouldnt do something wrong cause I rebuilt a similar unit in my earlier 69 mustang

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi. How did you remove the ball stud from the car? If you used a fork that ball sleve is most like'ly bent out of round. If you used a puller it may just be bad. You might check it for burs that can cause it not to work right also. I dont know if this helps or not. God Bless.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I used a tool like the unit in one of the attached images. That worked well. The sleeve is straight.

But I may found a solution, just not tightening the travel regulator too much, but it should be tightened more, but I guess it will work anyway. The problem is that that the stop pin goes straight thru the hole and goes out at the other side.Maybe bending the pin or use a thicker pin is good ideas.

Some images of the Control valve are attached. Someone see something wrong?

If I tight it more, the ball stud socket will expand

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi. I have never had that happen befor. I do know one thing you dont want it falling out. A larger roll pin would most like'ly work but i have never done it befor. I would say if you spread the top so it cant slide though it would hold alright. If anyone that has had this happen and fixed it you might put your 2cent's in. As i said i have never done this befor.

·
Administrator
21,671 Posts
I believe that the area the pin goes through goes inside so it doesn't matter if it slides through because it will only hit the other wall as it's inclosed in a housing. I did mine but been a while and can't remember but the ball stud was stiff. Of course the old one was worn out.

If you PM your email addy i can send you some stuff that might or might not help from the shop manual.

Here is a diagram, maybe it will help
ballstud.jpg

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the stop pin goes eventually against one the walls in the housing, the best option hadde anyway been that the pin had been in the center.

I got an big email from the owner of this site: http://www.stangerssite.com/, and that also helped much, in addition to the help in this thread.

Thanks shotrod64, but I have the shop manual :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After the unit is partially asembled, the distance the ballstud/socket can moved in the sleeve in short. The 2 images below show the most outer and inner position of the ball stud. Is this too less, and how much should the centering nut/spring be tightened?

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
After the unit is partially asembled, the distance the ballstud/ can moved in the sleeve in short. The 2 images below show the most outer and inner position of the ball stud. Is this too less, and how much should the centering nut/spring be tightened?
Free movement for ball stud should be 0,06 inches = 1,5mm.

Shop manual says:
Tighten Centering spring nut securely then loosen - not more than 1/4 turns.
I had about 5mm movement on my galaxies valve, reason was, it was built for 2 diffrent control valves... I bought rebuilt one from rockauto.com, now steering feels much better !

Mika

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The P/S valve is now rebuilt and I hope it will work when the spring comes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts