Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping it short. C4 Tranny is out of parts car. Have it mostly apart except for the output shaft part side, need to get snap ring pliers from work tomorrow. Should have it all apart by then. I will post tag #'s and stuff from tranny so you all can see what C4 I'm working with. It does have the "H" servo on it so I know this C4 is a heavy duty unit (dipstick tube in pan). Hope to have it all cleaned and put back together with new stuff in around 2 weeks working off and on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You have a good start then. With the H servo and the heavy duty case you should be ok.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 1/28/02 5:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got the tranny all apart now, have started cleaning some of the parts.

Got 2 questions: while cleaning the main case a little cone shaped screen filter came out of somewhere in the main case. I can't see where this screen goes, anybody have an idea? Is it necessary to have it?

2nd Q: here are the #'s of the tranny on the tag, if anybody can decipher it and give me a little more info about this tranny that would be great. Here are the codes:

PEF AE2 D7DP JB C1C

like I've mentioned earlier it is a pan fill C4 with the "H" servo and it came out of a 1977 Ford Granada with a 351W engine. TIA.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 2002-01-29 19:56, windsoreight wrote:
Are you sure that is the right numbers.
that is what is on the tag bolted to the H servo. Do those #'s not jive with what tranny I'm working on?

·
Registered
413 Posts
They appear to but, the D7DP dosen't look right. Are you sure it is not D7TP? Are ther any numbers on the main case?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 1/30/02 8:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2002-01-29 20:07, windsoreight wrote:
They appear to but, the D7DP dosen't look right. Are you sure it is not D7TP? Are ther any numbers on the main case?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 1/30/02 8:10am ]</font>
I'm looking at the tag in my hands and what I posted earlier is what's on the tag. I don't see any #'s on the main case except for "19" or "61" depending on how you look at it. #'s are above the "ford logo" on the driver's side of the case. Thanks for taking the time to check this for me windsoreight, I'll be back later after dinner and check my thread to see if you have more info for me.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't know if this is right or not. THe trans is a 1977, Maverick or Granada automatic trans.
The screen that fell out was the pump screen. You might want to clean it and reinstall it. Must of the C4's I have pulled apart they are missing so I usually don't worry about it. But since you have it use it. It goes into the pump inlt in the case. It is hard to describe exactly where it goes. I will look tomorrow and tell you exactly where it goes. I have a C4 at work I am building for a friends race car. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
That little screen fits in the pump hole on the linkage side of the trans with the cone piece inwards so it is flush with the v.b surface....

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2002-01-30 05:30, gregaust wrote:
That little screen fits in the pump hole on the linkage side of the trans with the cone piece inwards so it is flush with the v.b surface....
thanks but which hole is the pump hole? could you post a picture of the bottom of the main case with an arrow showing where it goes exactly? that would be great. TIA.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Across the bottom of the case where the v/b mounts there is two larger holes,3 smaller holes + 3 threaded holes at the front or bellhousing end.The screen goes in the hole on the same side as the shift linkage..

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks, I now know where it goes. I'll take a look at it tonight and this weekend I will start putting it back together, waiting to get my thrust washer kit today first before assembling it back.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
started assembling last night, got to the point where I could put the snap ring onto the output shaft. I do have to double check my thrust washers (may have installed one in the wrong place for the reverse planetary gearset, no big deal, easily done without ripping apart what I've done already)

a few things though, those oneway rollers and springs are a PITA. It's been a while since I did a C4 and I started installing the rollers going around in a circle. When I got to the last few I couldn't get them in, the oneway clutch must've moved a slight amount not allowing me to install the last few rollers. This meant I had to remove the installed rollers and springs and start again but this time I installed the rollers opposite the previous one (like tightening a wheelnut going in a star pattern) this made it much easier but it took a while of cursing taking up quite some time. I did leave it for a while and did other stuff like the servos before going back to try again.

I plan to double check the washers today and lay out my friction and steel clutches so I know how many I can fit in each drum. This coming week I will have the forward part of the gearset ready to go so it can be installed (I will be drilling the drum too), then it's the oil pump and finally valve body when I install my shift kit so with luck I could have this tranny sitting in my basement next weekend ready to go when the engine comes out...... and it's only the first week of Feb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts