Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of working window motors on Ebay for my 1961. They look OK. I remember the early 60 T-birds I junked had several motors that were rotted inside. As i recall, the bad ones were obvious by the corrosion of the white metal that caused the coating to bubble and let the water in. Should I remove the coating and look inside? Is there anything I can do to possibly extend the lifespand?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Keeping them dry is the only way to increase the life. That's why 90% of all window motors were covered in a sheet of plastic, and you usually find that plastic in the bottom of the quarters and the doors disintegrated.

Found a 59 Merc in a wrecking yard in So Cal 17 years ago and the plastic on those motors was like brand new, it was a garage kept car and everything worked excellently.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have found that if the rubber is bubbled, it is a good chance that the metal case is rusted badly... many times rusted through. I removed the rubber, and rebuilt the motors, matching up the best of the top halves with the best of the bottom halves, and discarded any that were rusted through. I sandblasted the cases, acid washed them, and powder coated them. When I put them back together, I put silicone around the edge of the casings before I closed them together. I think the rubber coating did more damage than good by trapping in the water inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts