Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting a pa performance 3g wiring kit on my 1966 galaxie.dont laugh but is the voltage regulator that comes with the kit supposed to be gutted of any electrical parts.i figure all it does is keep the dash warning light working but seems kinda odd way to do it.

·
Subscriber
524 Posts
yeah, that is kind of a weird way to do it. No, I don't think you need to gut their regulator.

maybe its geared towards the "must look original" crowd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it’s running and charging 14.5 so I guess that works but the amp gauge light doesn’t.so much for dummy regulator.so,what wires have to be connected to get the light to work.all the original wires going to alternator except a white wire to energize the alternator are disconnected.i assume one or more need to connect to something going to the light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The alternator failure light.l think I have to run a wire from the I terminal on back of alternator to a connector at the regulator. that just bypasses the stock regulator and goes to the failure light.thank goodness I have a factory repair manual to identify the wires.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, see this thread and diagram:

The I terminal runs to one side of the bulb and the other side of the bulb is connected to a switched power source. There's an optional 500 ohm resistor in parallel with the bulb so the alternator will still work if the bulb burns out/is removed.

Pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One last dumb question or two.when completely factory stock,when you turn the switch to on position doesn’t the alternator failure light come on .im sure it does but shouldn’t it also do the same when I get the wiring right for the 3g alternator.then of course it cuts off when running.im actually not a bad mechanic on everything else on cars but I’m not much at all on wiring.thank you for helping me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,it works🤣the so called igniter wire,green and red is connected to the yellow wire at the regulator.it has 11.80 volts with switch on as what I was told was about right.then it all goes to the solenoid switch,up to the alternator light that is on when switch is on and turns off after the motor is running.when I get my head clear I will try to explain it all a little better.
Now,where do I get the larger diameter alternator pulley cause it sounds like it’s going to slip with the small pulley.i know this is a terrible explanation but I will do a better one after my head gets cleared out.BUT,it works as it should!14.50 volts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts