Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got 700 miles on my currie hd housing & 31 spline large tapered bearing axles. both axle seals are starting to leak right out of the lip. axle vent is clear. any ideas , better seals to run etc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
are you using o-rings on the axle bearings or bressed in seals? In either case were the axles and/or seals lubbed up during installation?

I had the o-rings in a channel on the axle bearings on my 9", leaked within 2 weeks... changed to the press in seals, no prob...

also where and what kind of fill hole do you have? Is it on the third member? Is there too much fluid in the rear housing?

Just some thoughts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the seals are outboard of the bearings. the only way to get them off is to press off the bearing. they have a rubber coating on the outside, no o ring. so i would say pressed in. but they are leaking out of the lip. nothing is loose. the fill is on the third member.
thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
sounds like currie should fix it for you, but they are not too nice. I have delt with those turkys before...

sorry

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Not sure about the Currie housing but, the Versaille housing I use, has an inner seal, an O-Ring on the bearing (Moser Axles), and an outer seal that would not seal much of anything it's more of a dust seal. I asked Moser if I should bother putting the inner seal in, and they said definitly yes!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffstar on 6/27/06 7:05am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
The tapered roller bearing style of seal, seals on the outside of the housing, so there is no way to install an "O" ring. Unfortunately, the tapered bearings need the oil in the diff for lubrication, so there will be oil in the vicinity and there can be some seapage. Check the oil level and only fill to the fill hole, more oil will cause problems. The best thing to do is get everything clean, and then smear some silicone arond the circumfirence of the seal where is meets the housing. I build circle track 9" rearends for customers with the tapered roller bearings and leakage is a common issue, especially on the right side axle tube. Silicone usually stops it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts