Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is really amazing how many nerves there are in our fingers. I was finishing up my head porting and polishing(still not quite done). I went to turn one head over on the 2 x 8 I have it resting on and BLAMMOOO! My little pinger didn't quite make it out from under the head in time. I quit for the rest of the afternoon. I'm going to go get some ice cream. I may stick my finger in it. Good grief this hurts. The photo was taken after the blood spurting out the end of my finger phase was over. It is in numb and throbbing right now.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
More ice cream! LOL Yeah, BTDT. Now at least you'll drink tea properly. ;) Too bad I didn't know you were doing it all on a board. I could have offered you a set of 360° rotating head porter's stands (or shown you how to make your own pretty easy). Saves your arms and back, too. Are you doing much more?

David

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm almost done now. Some sort of rotating gizmo to hold the head in any other which position so I could grind or polish would have been nice when I started all this.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
:cry: Owwwie..... Makes election day memorable..... Make that 2 Scoops....;)

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
if youve got a blood blister under the nail, you can poke a hole in it- instant relief...well unless you try using a drill press like some idiot(not me) I know...Ive heard a hot paperclip will pierce right thru and the blood will quench it before it burns, but i'm chicken to try that, I use a sterilized xacto knife and spin between thumb/finger with very gentle pressure, to drill a tiny hole in the middle of the red spot, soon as the tiniest hole goes thru a drop or three of blood seeps up and pain is gone instantly.
Ive even done it soon enough- cant be more than a few minutes it seems- and didnt even lose the nail, it just seemed to grow back down...but usually they fall off anyway as it grows out.

when my son was 2 he loved to climb...une day he opened the drawers of his changing table and tried climbing like stairs...well it tipped over, the upper doors swung open and one door corner stopped the table- right across his big toe...he was tiny(heart patient- think he was like 25 pounds at 2) and that big toe wasnt very big...it split his nail to the bone right down the middle... they took the nail off at the hospital think they glued it back together, his one nail is still goofy looking 12 yrs later

at least its all still there right? hope the throbbing stops soon...

·
Registered
340 Posts
The paperclip trick works. I've done it myself. Just don't use too much pressure.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
you might not bleed Ford blue but it does look like Ford Y block red

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The blood blister came up on the finger print side so its not under my finger nail. Somebody needs to come up with steel finger tip gloves to go with the steel toed boots. I already wear the boots. Dropped on of the heads on my boot once during this ordeal.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
part of it man.... fingers bleed a lot. I get so many cuts it's kinda gross at times.

last week:
-wrench slipped, cut thumb on sharp trans pan edge at full speed :)
-At work pulling in 1 1/4 inch wire rope and got hand stuck on a "fishhook" massive blood and guts as the wire was going overboard, so I just yanked my hand off it
-burned topside of hand on headers, pulled hand back fast enough to cut it on a jagged piece of sheet metal...

I need to find different hobbies and ways of making a living. I do have to say that finger crush you experienced probably hurts worst than the ones I listed above (except for maybe the burn/cut combo).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts